Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 05:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,589,675 times

Advertisements

I gave a math test today and had several students whose parents called them off just for the hour of my class. They were at school for every other class. Why do parents do this? I'm thinking that the make up test needs to be a bit harder.....

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 11-01-2013 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 05:37 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,853,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I gave a math test today and had several students whose parents called them off just for the hour of my class. They were at school for every other class. Why do parents do this? I'm thinking that the make up test needs to be a bit harder.....
For me, the ones who do this type of thing are usually the failures. I just excuse missed tests, which doesn't count for or against them, and yeah, it can improve their score, but why fight it? If you try to "get even" with them, who really loses out? You!
Remember: Time wounds all heels! They'll get theirs... eventually.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:41 PM

45,557 posts, read 60,809,385 times
What period? I had several students leave today last period (small class anyway) for Dr. appointments. New sport season coming up and a couple were for physicals and a couple regulars who go every couple weeks for allergy shots. My youngest son has been going for shots every couple weeks for years (one reason I have last period planning every other day, I leave and don't have to take the day off).

Your situation may have just been a coincidence. Or does this happen with every test?

Old 11-01-2013, 05:44 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,330,663 times
I had my parents do this because I didn't feel prepared for the test. I also had a math tutor that would come to my house about 3 to 4 times a week. I felt like an idiot in math. I did well in math up until I started high school. I then failed math my freshman year and junior year. Now, for my major I have to take MATH 1101 (speech-language pathology), which is entry-level math. I screwed up my high school GPA for nothing…

I also had nights where I would come home late from practice, so my parents would let me go to school at 10am. I would sleep as soon as I got home and do my homework in the morning…

Old 11-01-2013, 05:51 PM

34,138 posts, read 83,155,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I gave a math test today and had several students whose parents called them off...
What grade level is this?

We couldn't do this sort of thing until high school...
but not with the help of Mom.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
What period? I had several students leave today last period (small class anyway) for Dr. appointments. New sport season coming up and a couple were for physicals and a couple regulars who go every couple weeks for allergy shots. My youngest son has been going for shots every couple weeks for years (one reason I have last period planning every other day, I leave and don't have to take the day off).

Your situation may have just been a coincidence. Or does this happen with every test?
3rd and 4th periods. I did have some absences last hour as well but those kids told me they were going to be absent and two of them came in and took the test early.

It's actually common in my school. 5 is a bit much for me in three classes. It's so obvious they were skipping my class to get out of the test. I can't believe parents go along with this. And the really funny thing is that the class average on the test is over 80%. They whined and complained all week about having a test the day after Halloween and then rocked it,...the little turkeys... lol. It's pretty bad when you have to skip a test your classmates rocked because you're not ready. Something tells me I can guess their scores.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
What grade level is this?

We couldn't do this sort of thing until high school...
but not with the help of Mom.
10/11th grade. I find it ridiculous that parents enable kids like this. Why study when you know mommy will call you off if you ask? It gets tiring.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:23 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,409,342 times
They still have to make up the test. I would have an essay explaining their mathematical thinking on the make up test. You would be surprised how many kids will not need a retest if there is a writing portion.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 PM

50,423 posts, read 64,185,923 times
If you are saying that it was because the kids were not prepared for your class, it is awful for parents to do that, and they are not doing them any favors.

My grandson graduated from a very high achieving high school and is attending a state university. He graduated with a 4.5 or so, and took AP classes. I just heard today that he is getting a D in Calculus 3, but will get a B due to the curve.

My point is, can you imagine how unprepared the kids whose parents would pull them out of a difficult class will be?

Old 11-01-2013, 07:04 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,248,959 times
Our daughter would pull this on a regular basis, but with her grandfather, who was a sucker for any excuse that she had. Even though the school had strict instructions to call one of us before she got a dismissal, he would schmooze the office staff. We couldn't take him off her emergency form, because he was the only one who could get to the school fast if she did get sick, so it was a losing battle. It didn't do her any favors, but she didn't try to play sick in college. I wouldn't make a huge issue out of it. Just have a firm policy that all make-up work has to be done outside of class within the allowable time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching