Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:37 PM

358 posts, read 887,044 times

Advertisements

I have watched the daughter of a close associate go through university to become a music teacher. She is graduating with three types of honors, she is talented, volunteers a lot, and got some great experience. However the only job she has found with any appeal to her requires her to move 2000 miles away for $28,000 a year. After 5 years of school, she has $34,000 in debt, her vehicle is completely knackered and needs replacement, she owns no furniture, cookware or other basics. I make her annual salary in a month with less effort and cost into education and my budget often seems tight. I expect her father will end up supplementing her salary for the next ten years. Not all young teachers have fathers who can spare a thousand or so a month. How do young teachers survive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 02:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Teaching is a profession that is not 40/hours a week for 52 weeks a year.
Most sign contracts for 180-190 days. That's really 6 months worth of work.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:17 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Most people I know (including teachers) work more than 40 hours a week, but I personally don't know any professionals who work 52 weeks a year.

Standard teacher contracts I know of here in VA range between 194 and 200 days. That is in the 39-40 week range, which is more than 6 months.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:37 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,696 times
My daughter moved 8 hrs from home- rented an apt with a friend 3 years ago- her portion of rent and utilities are approx $500 per month.- she makes approx. $32K. She pays all of her own bills, although she does have a car that is reliable.She bought new bedroom furniture and living room furniture when she moved to the apartment. She financed it at 0% interest for 18 months. She is actually moving out of the apt. at the end of May.
She is getting married this year- her and fiance purchased a new home. She informed us over Easter that she will have her student loans paid off in 8 months (Approx. $26K).
Her boyfriend(fiancee) makes about $40K I believe- he is paying all the house expenses until her loans are paid off.
They also went to a financial planning class and are proud of themselves as to how much money they are saving. They have cut back on going out to eat, packing lunches, etc. SHe loves clothes and shoes, but budgets what she can spend. They have a budget and they stick to it. They have emergency funds, retirement fund, etc.
So it can be done. It just takes work and communication between the two of them. She actually lives a very nice lifestyle.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:49 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's BS. I worked my tail off as a teacher, with many more hours per week than my 9-5 husband. Each week I worked 10-12 hour days M-F and came up on Saturdays, with Grading and lesson plans on Sunday. I had continuing education 1-3 weeks in summer, as well as teaching summer school.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:00 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,677,361 times
^Happy Texan was just joking.

No one's that stupid.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:03 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Teachers work 2 jobs during the school year and try to get two more temp jobs during the summer. Just wait another 3-4 years and she will still be making $28K---if she is lucky.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Most people I know (including teachers) work more than 40 hours a week, but I personally don't know any professionals who work 52 weeks a year.

Standard teacher contracts I know of here in VA range between 194 and 200 days. That is in the 39-40 week range, which is more than 6 months.
*raises hand*

I worked for five years for a year-round school (yes, I know this is not typical).

I made more than 28K to doing so. Under 38K, however.

Essentially, in many areas of the country, if you choose to teach, your most likely options are any and/or all of the options listed below:

-locate yourself in a low cost-of-living area to do so.
-place yourself in a situation where you are not the sole income earner in your household.
-supplement your income with other means of making money.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:44 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
*raises hand*

I worked for five years for a year-round school (yes, I know this is not typical).

I made more than 28K to doing so. Under 38K, however.

Essentially, in many areas of the country, if you choose to teach, your most likely options are any and/or all of the options listed below:

-locate yourself in a low cost-of-living area to do so.
-place yourself in a situation where you are not the sole income earner in your household.
-supplement your income with other means of making money.
You didn't have any vacation time or time off and worked a full 52 weeks?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
We had several holidays a year off, one week in May, and one week in August. Once each quarter, we had early dismissal days on a Friday for in-services and trainings. You could also accrue PTO to take vacation time, much as in most full-time private sector jobs where people typically don't work 52 weeks a year with no vacation or PTO.

It was a behavioral school for severely disabled and behaviorally disordered students, and they needed every minute in school they could get. Time out of routine did not improve their issues, so there were very few stretches of time with no school in session.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching