Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 04:46 AM

4,541 posts, read 6,813,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Oh, come on...! Don't you think that the OP knows more about our profession than we do? You know... it's kind of obvious that a student - that has never been a teacher - knows all there is to know about being a teacher, because he went to school!

And heaven forbid that a group of people - who happen to actually be teachers - try to correct his/her misconceptions. I mean, what do we know about it? We're just teachers, right?

Of course, all of these great perks is the main reason we are having a flood of people trying to get in our profession, right?
Sarcasm aside, we've heard from two of our local universities that have education programs that they are laying off many of the adjunct faculty members responsible for mentoring student-teaching. One university last year went from monitoring 130+ student-teachers to just 30+ the next year. Same with many other educator programs. Now if our job was as great as many people claim, then why are the numbers dropping?

Look, I knew going into this job that the pay wasn't as great as I could have gotten elsewhere. I knew the benefits weren't that great - I even knew the summers were shorter than the public thinks. I got into this profession because I like teaching science. The benefits/salary are good enough that I can still enjoy my job. What is irritating is listening to people tell me - a teacher - how wondeful my job is (without them actually ever doing it), what my benefits are, how long my summers are, etc. Listening to the arrogant ignorance just hurts my head.
A common-held public viewpoint built upon selective perception or purposeful ignorance. Exploitation of these myths by individuals and corporations with vested interests have resulted in numerous changes at the federal level which have adversely affected education across the country. In a bad economy where our leaders have no real solutions education is an easy target and distraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 01:21 PM

43 posts, read 72,335 times
It's funny how some teachers complain..... You have the best job in the world and should be so lucky. America isn't Europe where everybody gets 5 - 6 weeks paid vacation off by law. 95% of the time you get home before 4 PM!

Old 06-07-2014, 01:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySe View Post
It's funny how some teachers complain..... You have the best job in the world and should be so lucky. America isn't Europe where everybody gets 5 - 6 weeks paid vacation off by law. 95% of the time you get home before 4 PM!
Well then go enroll in an Alt Cert program and within a year you too can be living the good life being a teacher.
Even better..sign up for Teach for America and they'll get you in the classroom ASAP.

Hurry up so you can be placed by September !

Old 06-07-2014, 01:42 PM

43 posts, read 72,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well then go enroll in an Alt Cert program and within a year you too can be living the good life being a teacher.
Even better..sign up for Teach for America and they'll get you in the classroom ASAP.

Hurry up so you can be placed by September !
I will graduate in December. I need to study and take the Praxis for NJ state certificate

Old 06-07-2014, 09:21 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,193,179 times
Quote:
Quote:
I will graduate in December. I need to study and take the Praxis for NJ state certificate
Brahahaha!!! Be sure to post back how that "getting home by 4 PM" is working out for you!

(I had to leave my classroom well before the work was completed to drive the 10 minutes to the day care center to pick up my children by the time they closed at 6:00 PM. After they were old enough to stay by themselves at home I could go back to my usual 7:30 AM to 7:30 PM teaching schedule.)

Old 06-08-2014, 07:31 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Quote:
I assume this means you haven't done your student teaching yet. You are in for a little surprise when you do. Please, please, be sure to post back to let us know how well received it is when you try to waltz out of there at 4:00 empty handed 95% of the time.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,947,132 times
Quote:
I'm 24 year old and will graduate with a Social Science major and Business Essential Certificate degree in January 2015. I'm really dying to become a Social Studies and/or ESL teacher, and I keep hearing how difficult it is to find a teaching position. I live in NYC metroarea so I hope there are more available jobs here as I'm not willing to relocate somewhere else due to many reasons.

I currently substitute teach, and I heard from some friends that it is basically walk-in resume, and that despite how they keep telling you there are no teaching jobs, if they like you they will offer a position.
I plan on taking the Praxis test this fall, and by looking at the text book and sample questions it seems very difficult even though I assume I'm an expert of many Social Studies subjects

PS! Due to economic and family reason I must start applying to a full-time non-teaching position as soon as I graduate because I must start working to make money until I get my teaching certificate and then could apply for teaching positions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I assume this means you haven't done your student teaching yet. You are in for a little surprise when you do. Please, please, be sure to post back to let us know how well received it is when you try to waltz out of there at 4:00 empty handed 95% of the time.
See the original post. She is not graduating in education and will not be doing student teaching unless she goes back to school to get her certificate. I don't think she will find a job in the NYC area without a valid teaching certificate that includes doing student teaching.

Of course, she could try Teach for America, but they might not place her in NYC and she doesn't want to move.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:19 PM

11,654 posts, read 12,731,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
See the original post. She is not graduating in education and will not be doing student teaching unless she goes back to school to get her certificate. I don't think she will find a job in the NYC area without a valid teaching certificate that includes doing student teaching.

Of course, she could try Teach for America, but they might not place her in NYC and she doesn't want to move.
Well, he isn't going to be teaching in NYC because he is studying for the Praxis which is not used in New York State at all. New York has their own battery of exams and they are doozies and they are not just answering questions on a computer or with paper and pen. Silly to try to take the Praxis before enrolling in a teacher education program. He might not like it or he might flunk out. He should read all the posts here written by the problems encountered by student teachers who are in their mid-twenties and older. And there is no Teach for America in NYC either, just one of those fill in the blank city "fellowships." They do not pay down student undergraduate debt and you can guess what kind of schools the "fellows" get placed in.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:56 PM

38 posts, read 91,917 times
I spent ten years working towards it. Four of those, most recently, were in another related field working on ways to get into a school. I did student teach in my mid 20s and I felt it was an advantage because I wasn't shy when I was working with other teachers or helping them out with something-- both of my cooperating teachers remarked on that positively. I will start my new position in August and have firmly told my family that they should expect I will work from 7:30 to 6:00 pm at least 2 days a week and that I will be working from home on the evenings those days I do not stay until 6 pm. Oh, and I now have 8 weeks to write lesson plans for at least the first few months so I don't feel totally incompetent and drowning. And I couldn't be more excited because I feel like this is my calling and gives me a position where I can influence hundreds of children, plus other staff members, doing exactly what I do best. When I was student teaching I noted the students that I did make a difference with, and I was hooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching