Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 03:59 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I'm going to disagree with subbing. Subbing is not teaching in any way, shape or form. Subbing is babysitting, and most kids will have little respect for you. I know people that have subbed, both long and short term, and it does not guarantee a job!
No one here has said that subbing is "teaching in any way, shape, or form." It's just a good way to get exposure to the field prior to getting certified. It's also a great way to network if you are so inclined. Whenever I had a sub, I would let the principal know if this person was a good teacher candidate.

Anecdotally, I'm sure that you know that know people that have not been able to get a job, but there are many districts in which subbing is a vital, networking pathway into a position. Just because it didn't work for your friends, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I've seen it work over and over again.

Quote:
If you want guaranteed work as a teacher, get certified in physics. There is a huge physics teacher shortage, you'll be able to pick your school
Tis true. But have you stopped to think about why there is a shortage? And, quite honestly, being certified in SPED will guarantee you a job more readily than in physics.

Quote:
and salary.
You're joking, right? Even elite private schools have something akin to salary schedules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:15 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,190 times
Quote:
I'm going to disagree with subbing. Subbing is not teaching in any way, shape or form. Subbing is babysitting, and most kids will have little respect for you. I know people that have subbed, both long and short term, and it does not guarantee a job!

Subbing is a way to get familiar with a particular school district, school, staff, and students. It's a great way to get your name out there and let principals and teachers know you're available. Anyone who has subbed or done research on what it entails should know what subbing is about- you're not there to show off your own lesson plans and teaching style- you're there to follow the sub plans. Subbing can quickly let people know what age group and content they're wanting or won't want to teach. Nothing like having your mind made up that you want to teach a specific grade and content and then having an 'a ha!' moment that maybe it is or isn't for you.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:30 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
No one here has said that subbing is "teaching in any way, shape, or form." It's just a good way to get exposure to the field prior to getting certified. It's also a great way to network if you are so inclined. Whenever I had a sub, I would let the principal know if this person was a good teacher candidate.

Anecdotally, I'm sure that you know that know people that have not been able to get a job, but there are many districts in which subbing is a vital, networking pathway into a position. Just because it didn't work for your friends, doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I've seen it work over and over again.

Tis true. But have you stopped to think about why there is a shortage? And, quite honestly, being certified in SPED will guarantee you a job more readily than in physics.

You're joking, right? Even elite private schools have something akin to salary schedules.
Schools are starting to realize that special education costs a fortune and is the reason per student spending is through the roof in this country. I would NOT get into special education these days. Here in NJ there are so many people in special ed it's ridiculous. Many schools are starting to cut back, thus there will be a glut of special ed teachers with no jobs. It is ridiculous to think you'd be better of in special ed than in any STEM field. STEM is the future of education, special ed is going to be cut back drastically.

All schools have a salary schedule. What's to stop a person from being hired at step 10 instead of step 1?

It's a matter of supply and demand. Anyone can get certified in special ed. Not many people can get certified in physics.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Schools are starting to realize that special education costs a fortune and is the reason per student spending is through the roof in this country. I would NOT get into special education these days. Here in NJ there are so many people in special ed it's ridiculous. Many schools are starting to cut back, thus there will be a glut of special ed teachers with no jobs. It is ridiculous to think you'd be better of in special ed than in any STEM field. STEM is the future of education, special ed is going to be cut back drastically.

All schools have a salary schedule. What's to stop a person from being hired at step 10 instead of step 1?

It's a matter of supply and demand. Anyone can get certified in special ed. Not many people can get certified in physics.
They can't cut back. Federal law prohibits that. And many more parents are becoming savvy into the laws and what schools are mandated to provide for their children.

There has to be more SPED teachers/aides/co-teachers now because of inclusion.
SPED kids are not in self-contained rooms anymore unless there are special circumstances that require it.
Now they are immersed and included in the mainstream classes. And with that comes the need for more SPED teachers that become co-teachers and help the SPED students in the mainstream classes keep up.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Schools are starting to realize that special education costs a fortune and is the reason per student spending is through the roof in this country.
Starting to realize? Uh, no, we have all realized that for a long time. Everyone has been in blame-the-teacher mode for education costs for so long, no one had disaggregated the data until recently. Still, there are far too many who are unwilling to look at the real costs of public education. And no one who wants to keep their job is going to question the funding for the "disabled."

Quote:
I would NOT get into special education these days. Here in NJ there are so many people in special ed it's ridiculous. Many schools are starting to cut back, thus there will be a glut of special ed teachers with no jobs.
There's a glut of teachers in New Jersey period. New Jersey is one of highest paying states out there. There are very few shortages of any teachers in any content area except, of course, the inner city schools. In every state there is a much larger shortage of sped teachers.

You were the one that said:

Quote:
If you want guaranteed work as a teacher, get certified in physics.
Where the average high school probably only employs one or two physics teacher, they probably need 20 sped teachers.

Quote:
It is ridiculous to think you'd be better of in special ed than in any STEM field. STEM is the future of education, special ed is going to be cut back drastically.
As Happy Texan stated, there are federal laws in place that are not going anywhere - unless you have information that we don't? Are you in Congress? Are you privy to any legislation coming up that is going to make sweeping changes in the administration of special education services and funding?

Quote:
Because the candidate doesn't get to decide. Don't you know this? This is governed by the contract that is in place in every district that I know of. The only exception is some districts give step credit to those who come in with teaching experience. And that usually has a ceiling at five years or so.

Quote:
It's a matter of supply and demand.
You would think. And in every other profession it would work that way. In education, however, they get very creative when the supply is low and the demand is high. My district will allow TFA students their six week summer class and let them teach that fall (TFA students have in excess of a 70% attrition rate in the first five years). They also recruit from industry. Basically, they do something similar. We end up with people who, for the most part, cannot hack their chosen profession or are retired and figure they'd teach because, ya know, it's so easy. And, my personal favorite, the district will sponsor teachers from countries...let's say, less developed than ours...to come here and teach. You know, because our education model is so, so similar to theirs.

As the department chair, I had to deal with all of these issues. They were very high maintenance as opposed to people who actually trained to be a teacher.

Quote:
Anyone can get certified in special ed. Not many people can get certified in physics.
I'm a STEM teacher. If the OP found a STEM content area interesting, I'm certain he or she would pursue a STEM position. But the OP wants social studies. If the OP simply wants a job in the education field - which is the direction you took this thread, it will be easier to become certified and obtain a position in SPED.

Regardless of what you or I think this should person should do, the OP wants advice securing a position in science or social studies for eighth grade. The people on this forum who are actually in the field and understand the ins and outs, written or unwritten, have given this person advice pertaining to that.

Last edited by Everdeen; 07-18-2014 at 07:55 PM..

Old 07-18-2014, 07:54 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There has to be more SPED teachers/aides/co-teachers now because of inclusion.
Actually, many schools can get around having to hire more teachers/aides/co-teachers by putting special ed. students into one or two of the grade level classrooms. For example, if there are four teachers per grade level, some schools may choose one or two of these classrooms to put the special education students in, rather than these students being divided up upon the four grade level classrooms (which would require more SPED teachers).

Old 07-18-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
Actually, many schools can get around having to hire more teachers/aides/co-teachers by putting special ed. students into one or two of the grade level classrooms. For example, if there are four teachers per grade level, some schools may choose one or two of these classrooms to put the special education students in, rather than these students being divided up upon the four grade level classrooms (which would require more SPED teachers).
It's likely, though, that classes will have to have a SPED co-teacher in it. Many IEP's require that a student be in a co-taught class if they are included in a regular ed class. At my school, the SPED teacher teaches a couple of very small SPED-only classes and then goes and co-teaches. There is also a SPED facilitator who teaches no classes, but is there to oversee the administration of the SPED requirements.

SPED requirements are very onerous and requires more and more resources every year.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:25 AM

16 posts, read 14,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite23 View Post
Hi,
I am interested in teaching Science 4-8 or Social Studies 8-12 in Texas around the San Antonio/Austin area. I have a Dual Environmental Studies/Political Science degree. One of the programs I'm looking at is a community college with a $4500 price tag for the year to get me certified. Another is with a university that is closer to $6200. I'm completely new to the education field and wonder how I should go about doing the legwork and volunteering that would make me more applicable.

I certainly wish you all the luck in the world. As a recently retired teacher, I've been very disappointed in the direction the profession has taken over the past decade. One can only hope that the downhill slide will halt and then reverse itself, but there are no signs of that happening at present.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:00 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Starting to realize? Uh, no, we have all realized that for a long time. Everyone has been in blame-the-teacher mode for education costs for so long, no one had disaggregated the data until recently. Still, there are far too many who are unwilling to look at the real costs of public education. And no one who wants to keep their job is going to question the funding for the "disabled."

There's a glut of teachers in New Jersey period. New Jersey is one of highest paying states out there. There are very few shortages of any teachers in any content area except, of course, the inner city schools. In every state there is a much larger shortage of sped teachers.

You were the one that said:

Where the average high school probably only employs one or two physics teacher, they probably need 20 sped teachers.

As Happy Texan stated, there are federal laws in place that are not going anywhere - unless you have information that we don't? Are you in Congress? Are you privy to any legislation coming up that is going to make sweeping changes in the administration of special education services and funding?

Because the candidate doesn't get to decide. Don't you know this? This is governed by the contract that is in place in every district that I know of. The only exception is some districts give step credit to those who come in with teaching experience. And that usually has a ceiling at five years or so.

You would think. And in every other profession it would work that way. In education, however, they get very creative when the supply is low and the demand is high. My district will allow TFA students their six week summer class and let them teach that fall (TFA students have in excess of a 70% attrition rate in the first five years). They also recruit from industry. Basically, they do something similar. We end up with people who, for the most part, cannot hack their chosen profession or are retired and figure they'd teach because, ya know, it's so easy. And, my personal favorite, the district will sponsor teachers from countries...let's say, less developed than ours...to come here and teach. You know, because our education model is so, so similar to theirs.

As the department chair, I had to deal with all of these issues. They were very high maintenance as opposed to people who actually trained to be a teacher.

I'm a STEM teacher. If the OP found a STEM content area interesting, I'm certain he or she would pursue a STEM position. But the OP wants social studies. If the OP simply wants a job in the education field - which is the direction you took this thread, it will be easier to become certified and obtain a position in SPED.

Regardless of what you or I think this should person should do, the OP wants advice securing a position in science or social studies for eighth grade. The people on this forum who are actually in the field and understand the ins and outs, written or unwritten, have given this person advice pertaining to that.
Sorry, but I disagree with just about everything you said. Special ed, for the majority of students being classified, is a joke. These kids are not 'disabled.' The majority of my students that have IEP's do so mostly because their parents want them to get special privileges. Schools are seeing this and that it cost a fortune to have aides in classes with these kids. What is happening, and will continue to happen, is schools are going to classify less kids. Just because little Johnny is lazy won't get him classified just because Dad wants him to have move time on SAT's.

I worked at a school were this is exactly what has started happening. Most schools in my area have about 13-18% of students with IEPs. This one particular school, a very highly ranked school, is starting to put an end to the IEP game. Over the past three years the percent of students with IEP's have dropped to below 6%. Say good bye sped teachers.

If you don't think there is a push for STEM, then you really need to open your eyes. Why do you think schools are buying chromebooks for students? Why are they implementing more STEM programs in schools? Have you noticed this country produces very few scientists and engineers compared to other countries? Do you realize we're trying to do something about this and companies are crying for schools to start preparing students in these fields?

And about salary, really, you don't get to decide? True if you are a special ed teacher, because they are a dime a dozen. But just about every physics teacher I know started at a higher salary step then normal because they negotiated, because they can. Friend of mine, first year teaching got hired at step 7. This is common in disciplines were not everyone has a certification.

I was giving this advice to anyone that is thinking of getting into teaching. I think special ed teachers will become the next social studies teachers, for every job there will be 500 applicants. I would never in a million years suggest anyone to try and become a social studies teacher. It is simply too difficult to find work, and that's what will happen with special ed.

Oh, lastly, there is no glut of physics teachers in NJ. I know we pay well, but guess what, NJ graduated exactly two students from college last year in physics education! And even though each school has a need for fewer physics teachers, you still have a much better chance of getting a job as a physics teacher than a sped teacher.

Last edited by fred44; 07-20-2014 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-20-2014, 10:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
If you don't think there is a push for STEM, then you really need to open your eyes. Why do you think schools are buying chromebooks for students? Why are they implementing more STEM programs in schools? Have you noticed this country produces very few scientists and engineers compared to other countries? Do you realize we're trying to do something about this and companies are crying for schools to start preparing students in these fields?
You need to look deeper than the rush to buy chrome books and iPads.

I've taught the Technology Applications class.
The TEKS (Texas curriculum) was dated 1999 and undergoing revision..proficiency with analog modems ???
The new TEKS are out and are still dated by about 10 years and address the most odd points and no mention of current emerging technologies.
In some cases the HS TEKS raised the bar so high that Stephen Hawking would have trouble passing the class (proficiency in a high level programming language, a low level programming language, a scripting language, create and maintain a database, create and maintain a website all in one single class with the pre-req being Algebra 1). That alone is 5 different college courses out of two branches of IT..College of Business and College of Engineering.

Yeah there is a push for STEM but, as usual, the wrong people are writing up the requirements and they are not being realistic at all.
They actually think that they can cram college level courses into HS and have HS graduates just as knowledgeable as those with a 4 year degree.

One HS is still running Windows XP with Office 2005 in their lab yet they also push the chrome books.

I don't know how it is in other states but I'm assuming it's along the same lines.

Now I do think the CTE classes are definitely worthwhile. They do teach real skills, get the kids certified and can lead to jobs with a HS diploma. I applaud those schools that have implemented this program and hire in professionals in their field to teach these classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching