Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 12:30 PM

358 posts, read 283,008 times

Advertisements

I'm making 40K a year with NO benefits and have a BA while starting salary for teacher's is 50K in my region and state with benefits. Enough said
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 01:09 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side.

Those of you trying to chide us about our supposed free time... you don't need to. Actually we get it from administration and staff who work full-year schedules. They also think we have it easy. People think we just get up there and talk, like we don't have to prepare, then like the grading just gets done magically.

I've worked EVERY summer since I started because my pay is too low to cover expenses like replacing my roof. Summer term starts the Monday after graduation on Saturday. I have never had a summer off. Summer term ends 2 weeks before we start professional development, and at least 5-6 days of that 2 weeks is spend grading and doing end of term assessments. I do get approximately 12 work days off during the holidays. Grading goes on into spring break, so spring break is more like a 4 or 5 day weekend.

The pressures of the "other side" white collar workforce are different.... no easier but no harder in my view. On those jobs, do you have to be in "performance mode" for 70% of your job? Probably not... you maybe give presentations at the beginning or end of a project. Some days are less intense than others. Teachers are on the stage 6 hours a day giving a one-man show.... they need that down-time they get, just like you're not expected to be in performance mode all the time. What you get in return is significantly higher income potential. We are capped between 70-90K depending on location. Very few of us will ever break 6 figures unless we coach a headline sport or go into administration, which, if we do, go on a 12 month contract.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:51 PM

395 posts, read 374,529 times
Well, it might be best to just let lonerandsad see if this job is what he hopes it turns out to be. Maybe if you're a natural you'll feel that you can get your work done quickly and the salary is perfect for the amount you have to put into it.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:53 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
If you don't get those breaks off then where are the teachers? Certainly not at school. And if you say professional development, then you're right back at the argument that teachers have professional development and other professions don't. There is not one thing you've said about "PD that does NOTHING" or lost time doing overhead chores, or any of the rest, that pretty much the whole professional work world does.

And where did you get this idea that "you can work as much as you want to get the job done because you aren't constrained?" Projects have both budget and time limits that dictate everything.

That's my point, teachers keep making these arguments like they are a special case when everyone who has to do all the same "stuff" knows they aren't. I'm not against teachers getting paid what they are worth, as I've stated elsewhere. But you're constantly using an absolutely losing argument when teachers keep arguing that what everyone else considers routine stuff is somehow special. You're not getting any traction and need to change up the argument to be about ROI and value added, and what you bring to the table.

And, for your question " If you do work for an employer like this, why would you stay?" Because I know enough to recognize the BS, meetings, PD, etc is in all jobs and so as a professional I am not exempt from the requirements of my profession.
What is a fall break? I have never heard of that. My kids would have loved your calendar. They only got 1 week for Christmas and spring breaks.

What I loved about working in business is that training/PD was done during regular business hours. If you had to travel for training, the company paid for it. My kids' teachers did their training during the evenings and on weekends with no extra pay. This was training, not college classes for credit. When they got to go to a conference out of town, they paid for it, including travel expenses out of pocket.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:44 PM

358 posts, read 283,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
Well, it might be best to just let lonerandsad see if this job is what he hopes it turns out to be. Maybe if you're a natural you'll feel that you can get your work done quickly and the salary is perfect for the amount you have to put into it.
Pray for me I get teaching job by next fall

Old 10-18-2015, 02:44 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
I agree. He needs to get in a teaching program first, once he's jumped that hoop we'll see how classes and student teaching go. Far more people than most people realize discover teaching isn't what they envisioned during their student teaching stint and either decide not to teach on their own, or are denied university approval for their credential. It is not as easy as it looks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Pray for me I get teaching job by next fall
I am indeed, and am praying that you come back here and post to let us know how it's going.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:54 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,697 times
Quote:
I'm making 40K a year with NO benefits and have a BA while starting salary for teacher's is 50K in my region and state with benefits. Enough said
Please tell me the state and region that teachers are starting at $50K.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:59 PM

395 posts, read 374,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
Please tell me the state and region that teachers are starting at $50K.
He may be in New York City or San Francisco. In Hartfort, CT they start at about $60k.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:52 PM

134 posts, read 176,522 times
Quote:
He may be in New York City or San Francisco. In Hartfort, CT they start at about $60k.
That's some wishful thinking, Enrico Fermi. In Hartford, CT it starts at more like $40K. Do you already have two master's degrees? Then you might be closer to 60K.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:56 PM

134 posts, read 176,522 times
Quote:
Just for the record, too, many states require teachers get their master's degree in order to renew their certification. This has to be done at the teacher's expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching