Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 01:18 PM

12 posts, read 12,166 times

Advertisements

In my upcoming retirement I am thinking about becoming a part time substitute teacher. It sounds like a way to get out of the house and earn a few extra bucks while helping society. I was more excited about it until I looked at Youtube and saw all the videos of substitute teachers being harassed by the students who appear totally uninterested in the subject being discussed.

If you did not work as a full time teacher at one time is it possible to control and keep the kids interested?
What is it really like being a sub teacher in High School?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 04:06 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Please first check to see if you qualify to work as a sub teacher in your state and in your area.

None of the school districts, in my area, hire subs who are not current or past licensed teachers or have a college degree in education. Years ago all you needed was a college degree, in any subject, and a substitute teacher license but not any more.

I have heard that in some areas, of other states, they will hire people who only have a HS degree. Yikes!

Old 03-21-2016, 04:30 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
In Canada, a five year education degree and full certification is required. I can't imagine a non-taecher trying it, no wonder they act like apes on Youtube. Good grief.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:32 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,583,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Please first check to see if you qualify to work as a sub teacher in your state and in your area.

None of the school districts, in my area, hire subs who are not current or past licensed teachers or have a college degree in education. Years ago all you needed was a college degree, in any subject, and a substitute teacher license but not any more.

I have heard that in some areas, of other states, they will hire people who only have a HS degree.
Yikes!
That's the case where I live. The pay is about minimum wage, though, and the kids are terrible. I tried it while going to college to finish my master's degree. They paid me almost twice the amount because I already had a college degree, but it was not worth it; the gross pay was still low. Plus, the YouTube videos are true; the kids acted like apes. There was ZERO respect for authority, most days. Sometimes, I would get lucky and get a "good" group, but they still walked over me, and at my "regular" schools, where the teachers were frequently absent or sick, the kids were practically running the place. I spent a good portion of my day, not discussing fascinating subjects or helping the kids learn new things but disciplining would-be juvenile delinquents, and I took it really personally when I couldn't get control of a class. The kids figured this out and used it against me. I now teach at a detention center, and it is 90 percent better. I'm so happy I don't have to sub anymore.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:10 PM

11,641 posts, read 12,715,051 times
In my location, you cannot work as a substitute teacher without a regular full teacher license as the same grade level as your assignment. That is, elementary certified teachers cannot sub in high schools.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:36 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Here in Texas, you don't have to be a regularly certified teacher. Some districts allow you to teach if you have an associates degree.

Quote:
In order to attain your substitute teacher certification in Texas, you will need the following:

An Associate's degree or Bachelor's degree, depending on the district
Fingerprint card and background check
Completed application and application fees
Official Transcripts
Letters of recommendation
Here are the requirements by state
NEA - Status of Substitute Teachers: A State-By-State Summary

In some states all you need is a high school diploma, a tb test and a background check.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:25 AM

26,746 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Here you must have a degree, pass the CBEST, and obviously be fingerprinted.

If I were you, I would not start out on the high school level. They will eat you alive if you have no background in classroom management or discipline. You might be better suited to the elementary school level.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:38 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Here in Texas, you don't have to be a regularly certified teacher. Some districts allow you to teach if you have an associates degree.

Here are the requirements by state
NEA - Status of Substitute Teachers: A State-By-State Summary

In some states all you need is a high school diploma, a tb test and a background check.
While the state may have very basic requirements, individual school districts may have much stricter requirements for substitute teachers.

Quote:

I have heard that in some areas, of other states, they will hire people who only have a HS degree. Yikes!

Old 03-24-2016, 05:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
While the state may have very basic requirements, individual school districts may have much stricter requirements for substitute teachers.
This is true, but in most states I worked in you did not have to be certified as a regular teacher, any degree would do. That includes Illinois, Texas and Louisiana (all states I subbed in). The problem is that there are just not enough people who want to do day to day subbing.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:07 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,448,074 times
I tried subbing while working on my masters and it lasted 3 days. It was the pit of the pits. In my opinion, no education is needed since simply being able to maintain some semblance of order is the requirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching