Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 12:57 PM

75 posts, read 593,036 times

Advertisements

Hi. I've been teaching English 101 for 2 semesters now.

When my students turn in major essays, I have them give hard copies rather than digital. I'm not sure I have a justification though.

In college, I always turned in the physical copy so maybe I'm used to it.

Is there any reason to ask for hard copies? Will all essay assignments be turned in by email some day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 01:19 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,258,616 times
Don't you mark them, and giving them pointers and comments? That would be harder to do digitally unless you have the right equipment.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I have a professor who requires hard copies to get around the late submitters who claim they turned it in online and don't know why it's not showing up.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:57 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
Most of my classes in college required turning in hard copies. The professor would make notes and corrections, so that's easier to do on paper.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:00 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
I definitely have some thoughts on this. To me there is a palpable difference between reading something I'm holding in my hands versus reading the same words off a glaring screen. Communication, particularly of an idea or a story, doesn't just happen because you say something or write something. The "receiving" party must be equally engaged and prepared to take in just what is being communicated. To read a student's intricately woven thoughts and ideas with no more attention than you would pay to a random email does not, to my mind, give it the attention and respect that it deserves. When you read an essay in an endless digital scroll, there is no sense of where you are in the story. No anticipation of having only two pages left and wondering how it will end. No flipping back a page to reconsider a thought or idea. Here's a test. Have one of your students submit BOTH a digital and a hard copy. Read the essay on your computer and evaluate it. Now, wait until you have a bit of spare time. Take the hard copy and sit back in your favorite chair, with a good light and read it again. Allow yourself to pause from time to time at the end of a page to consider what was just said. You won't lose your place. When you have finished, evaluate it again. My guess is that the printed words and the way that they were taken in will have had a greater impression upon you.

In a world where students are learning how to condense their thoughts to fit 140 characters, your insistence on hard copies is subtly showing them a more satisfying way to enjoy literature. Good for you.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I also find it easier to read/grade offscreen.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:57 PM

774 posts, read 745,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay123 View Post
I'm not sure I have a justification though.

It's your class. Why should you have to justify it to anyone unless the college has some sort of green policy about paper usage. You definitely don't have to justify it to your students.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay123 View Post
Hi. I've been teaching English 101 for 2 semesters now.

When my students turn in major essays, I have them give hard copies rather than digital. I'm not sure I have a justification though.

In college, I always turned in the physical copy so maybe I'm used to it.

Is there any reason to ask for hard copies? Will all essay assignments be turned in by email some day?

I grade the hard copy of my student's work. The digital copy is just for running through a plagiarism checker. I find it easier to grade a physical copy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching