Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:08 AM

27,573 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

If you think your school staff, including the principal, shows racially discriminatory treatment of minority students and parents, would you report this to the county school board? Would you consult with your attorney? This is for a public school.

I'd like to hear your opinions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:12 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
It would depend, IMHO, on what exactly was done to or with your child.
And you would have to do more than "think" something is happening... you need to "know".
Care to elaborate?

Old 05-20-2016, 11:35 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,797 times
I would take my child out and put them in private school, or homeschool. If they are actually being discriminatory, there are plenty of things you can do, that may make a difference in the long run, but none of them will actually improve the educational experience of your child right now today, without removing your child from the school.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:01 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
And what if the minority students are white and the majority of the school, including faculty and administration, are black and show preference towards the black students while showing anger and hostility or allowing this behavior by students toward the white students? One of my neighbors pulled her kids out of public school because of this. Rezoning caused her kids to be sent to a majority black school and they were regularly attacked by fellow students. Teachers and faculty didn't do anything to stop or punish their attackers. In fact, sometimes the faculty singled out her kids as the cause of the fights when they were defending themselves from multiple attackers.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
It would depend, IMHO, on what exactly was done to or with your child.
And you would have to do more than "think" something is happening... you need to "know".
Care to elaborate?
Making false academic evaluations of students.

Giving students lower grades than they clearly deserve.

Refusing to write recommendation letters for students.

Falsely accusing students of things they didn't do.

Harassing parents.

Screaming at parents.

Lying to parents, point blank.

These are just some examples of what the principal and several other staff members are doing. I have seen the evidence myself and have spoken with others who have seen the same things. It is not refutable.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:26 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
File a grievance. Each public school has documented forms indicating what your rights to due process are. Ask for that so you can familiarize yourself with the process.

Your first step most likely is to put it in writing, then mail it to the school certified. They are obligated to reply within a reasonable amount of time - this timeframe is also outlined in the school's handbook.

The school should respond in writing. If you do not agree with their remedy or findings, you have more recourse. But you can't leap past the first steps. Eventually you can be granted a due process hearing which would involve the state, not just your local school district.

Good luck - make sure you can document everything you believe to be discrimination, racial or otherwise.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:23 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
You could file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights, as long as it is filed within 180 days of the alleged incident. OCR oversees all public schools that recieve federal funds.

How to File a Discrimination Complaint with the Office for Civil Rights

Old 05-26-2016, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestions above. I'm going to look into them.

In the meantime, I had a little "talk" with a few of the teachers and things seem to have quieted down a bit as a result. We'll see.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:52 PM

480 posts, read 668,565 times
Hmmm.

"refusing to write letter of recommendation". Is it required that teachers write letters of recommendation for any child who asks? What if the teacher doesn't believe that particular child is worthy of a letter of recommendation? What if the teacher writes fewer letters of recommendations for children of particular race than for another race, not because of race, but based in qualifications? Should there be metrics kept on what race of children are provided letters of recommendation and then teachers be expected to provide letters of recommendation equally to all races? (Notice I never specified a particular race here. For any given teacher, the most race most often given a letter of recommendation might be black, white, Asian, American Indian, or any of a number of different races, and the opposite is also true).

Sorry, it is a personal peeve of mine that universities, scholarship applications, etc, require letters of recommendation. It is a waste of teachers time and scholarship applications should have other criteria listed instead. But many (when I was in high school which was like 20 years ago) required a letter of recommendation from a teacher.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:39 PM

211 posts, read 212,060 times
Making false academic evaluations of students.

Giving students lower grades than they clearly deserve.

Refusing to write recommendation letters for students.

Falsely accusing students of things they didn't do.

Harassing parents.

Screaming at parents.

Lying to parents, point blank.

All of those issues are certainly worthy of being discussed, but the thing is how do you prove that they were motivated by racial bias? Racial discrimination sucks and it is a reality, but you have to have evidence that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that those issues that you mention took place due to race-related biases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching