Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 02:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,949,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet1971 View Post

Just my opinion, no flames please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 03:05 PM

27,242 posts, read 13,527,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Just playing DEVL'S ADVOCATE with this question however I do think students should be allowed to record audio of all that is said in their classrooms. No smart phones, just digital audio or a tablet.
You would have to look in to Data Protection Laws which vary in the US and throughout the world as well as privacy laws.

Law Enforcement has greater exemption from Data Protection and Privacy Laws when compared to a classroom setting.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:32 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,195,599 times
Quote:
This true in ANY occupation... geez... welcome to the real world. Do you understand "employee-at-will"?
I am sorry if I have little compassion for my (sarcasm on) assumed belief that teachers are more entitled than the rest of any employees. But reality strikes.

Extremist responses such as " If everyone were fired for having a day where they weren't 100%, we'd all have about a million firings on our employment records."
do not help your cause. Of COURSE no one is 100% every day... but video/audio IS a wonderful assessment of a teacher's ability.

Personally, I can't write in words as to what makes a good teacher, but I know one when I see one. Seems vague, as it is. It is just like the engineers and managers I hired; resume' is half of it, but to see them in action is the clincher.. As school administration should learn (and maybe they do, as I have no idea), but 'management by walking around' is a technique I was taught and used long ago. I would think that having high level management just walk in and sit in the back of the class would freak out many an instructor, but it is beneficial to all.

I believe it all boils down to accountability; no one, at any level in public school education (K-12) is accountable for anything, and thus it is called 'open-market', or 'free-for-all', all at the taxpayers expense.

Privatize all educational services, put rating criteria in place, eliminate the union, and all this malarkey will end.

Or, not...

National Charter School Study
The attached thumbnail shows the comparison between public and charter schools impact on academic gains based on demographics. This study did not control for parental attributes, by the way, which is likely part of the reason demographics that are normally more inclined to struggle do better at charters. But, worth noting, charter school have a negative academic impact on white students and non-poverty Hispanics, along with a negative impact on Asian students' math gains. Oops.
Attached Thumbnails
Many cops wear body cams/ Why not require cameras in all classrooms?-image.jpeg  

Old 09-10-2016, 07:52 AM

10,581 posts, read 7,800,873 times
Quote:
This true in ANY occupation... geez... welcome to the real world. Do you understand "employee-at-will"?.
The real world doesn't feature audio and video recordings of all workers, nor should it.

I see it as an unnecessary, expensive and time wasting enterprise.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:17 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,261,274 times
I'd be more concerned about the aggregate effect than possible individual effects

How would this video be used for evaluations? I could see a lot of bias cropping up in this manner. No doubt it would advantage the more charismatic & attractive teachers. Among other forms of bias. It would be awfully easy to cherry pick some of this video data to get a teacher fired.

Not to mention the data storage, system maintenance, etc.. would not be cheap.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:07 AM

50,933 posts, read 24,441,927 times
Quote:
This true in ANY occupation... geez... welcome to the real world. Do you understand "employee-at-will"?
I am sorry if I have little compassion for my (sarcasm on) assumed belief that teachers are more entitled than the rest of any employees. But reality strikes.

Extremist responses such as " If everyone were fired for having a day where they weren't 100%, we'd all have about a million firings on our employment records."
do not help your cause. Of COURSE no one is 100% every day... but video/audio IS a wonderful assessment of a teacher's ability.

Personally, I can't write in words as to what makes a good teacher, but I know one when I see one. Seems vague, as it is. It is just like the engineers and managers I hired; resume' is half of it, but to see them in action is the clincher.. As school administration should learn (and maybe they do, as I have no idea), but 'management by walking around' is a technique I was taught and used long ago. I would think that having high level management just walk in and sit in the back of the class would freak out many an instructor, but it is beneficial to all.

I believe it all boils down to accountability; no one, at any level in public school education (K-12) is accountable for anything, and thus it is called 'open-market', or 'free-for-all', all at the taxpayers expense.

Privatize all educational services, put rating criteria in place, eliminate the union, and all this malarkey will end.

1. You state strong opinions and then request no flames. Rather presumptuous of you.

2. However, you make some valid points...and some not so valid.

3. Management by walking around is an excellent way to evaluate how well a school and how well a teacher is doing. The best teaching I ever did and ever saw my colleagues doing was a week when our principal (and my role model) did seemingly nothing other than walk around the school and pop into classrooms for about 10 minutes at a time. Each of us saw him in our classrooms multiple times that week. Boy, were we good! And later, when I became a principal, I was always amazed at the difference in teaching I would see when I would pop in versus when I would schedule an observation.

4. Actually -- at least in a good school district -- there's a lot of accountability. The Board of Education is held accountable by the voters. The BOE holds the Superintendent accountable. Principals (and other school officials) are held responsible by the Superintendent. Teachers and other personnel are held responsible by principals. That's not even mentioning things such as standardized testing and the press.

5. Privatize education my butt. Kids should not be subjects of the big business profit machine.

6. Rating criteria are in place in many of the better school systems.

7. https://edexcellence.net/publication...er-unions.html Clearly you don't understand that the strength of teacher unions varies widely from state to state. And workers should have the right to organize themselves in a relatively democratic nation. Of course, that's only if you believe in principles of freedom instead of right wing malarkey.

8. In some states the unions are too strong (and I say this as a former building rep and later principal), but if a principal should get rid of a teacher, they can; it just requires getting your ducks in a row and documenting the weaknesses. And a principal who can't get those ducks in a row and doesn't document things isn't doing their job and shouldn't be firing people on whim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching