Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2017, 01:59 PM

17 posts, read 13,988 times

Advertisements

If your pension and SS is 70 - 80% of your teacher pay you should be OK in retirement. Any feelings about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 02:36 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwaustin View Post
If your pension and SS is 70 - 80% of your teacher pay you should be OK in retirement. Any feelings about that.
What's your basis for saying that? Or is this a question for research?

Never mind, I remember you, you're thinking about retiring or have already.

Maybe. That's what mine is and there are some months it's tight, usually when a bill like car insurance is due and then something unexpected comes up at the same time, like having to completely replace the ball joints and control arms on a vehicle followed by a complete set of new to for another vehicle. That was $4600 all at once.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:03 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
I WISH mine was that high.

Whether 70-80% is enough depends on what you have to fall back on. Both SS and teacher pensions are under attack. I would suggest doing your planning with 2/3 of your promised pension and 1/2 of your promised SS. Make sure you have savings to make up the rest. I will be very surprised if the day doesn't come in my lifetime where SS is reduced by a pension or eliminated altogether in favor of a welfare plan for those who have nothing else.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:26 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
If your pension and SS is 70 - 80% of your teacher pay you should be OK in retirement.
Any feelings about that.
When that sort of statement is made it isn't in isolation as you have put it.

It's typically in the context of an entire life and retirement plan not least of which being
steadily earned income responsibly used and saved over that 30 year career.

That "responsibly used" idea most commonly leading to a fully paid off mortgage...
and a conscious, deliberate decision to either fix up that home to suit for the duration
or to sell it and move to some other all paid for home that would suit you better for the duration;
and often with a bit of extra cash from the sale added to the retirement account.

On that sort of basis, and not carrying other debts, you should be plenty OK with 70-80%.
Add in social security...

Old 01-28-2017, 12:37 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
My state pension will provide just north of 50% of my highest avg three years' salary. What is really helpful is that we have an additional county pension that provides 25% of the highest three years' avg.

I don't see myself working (at my current job) past age 55 and I very well may stop a few years prior if I think I can swing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching