Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 08:02 PM

50,928 posts, read 24,432,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaigonPaisa View Post
Who claimed that?

Of course not all teachers are the same.

Common sense.

Just because a teacher isnt good doesn't give students the right to be disrespectful and rain havoc in a classroom.

Not sure what your point is. Or simply you are arguing something no one is arguing.
Because throughout your posts you seem to be almost all the blame on administrators, not even considering what challenges they may be facing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 09:01 PM

207 posts, read 102,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Because throughout your posts you seem to be almost all the blame on administrators, not even considering what challenges they may be facing.
Negative.

My post assumes the teacher is or has done their part.

There are certainly teachers who lack classroom management skills, consistency and any other type of characteristic that promotes a good learning environment.

Even in my posts I have stated that the admins hands are tied just like the teachers.

The main problem is the school system. The politics involved. Accommodating and copitchulating bad kids at the expense of the teachers and the good students.

Now like with teachers there are certainly some bad admins.

But as I contend the root issue is the school system / board not allowing the schools to do what needs to be done.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Negative.

My post assumes the teacher is or has done their part.

There are certainly teachers who lack classroom management skills, consistency and any other type of characteristic that promotes a good learning environment.

Even in my posts I have stated that the admins hands are tied just like the teachers.

The main problem is the school system. The politics involved. Accommodating and copitchulating bad kids at the expense of the teachers and the good students.

Now like with teachers there are certainly some bad admins.

But as I contend the root issue is the school system / board not allowing the schools to do what needs to be done.
So since you hate your situation, why don't you leave at the end of the year. Then your problem is solved.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:30 AM

207 posts, read 102,849 times
Quote:
So since you hate your situation, why don't you leave at the end of the year. Then your problem is solved.
I teach in a different country. Love my situation. 1 hour 50 dollar plane ride from the beautiful beaches in Thailand.

You couldn't pay me enough to work in that type of school.

Luckily I did an ACP and my student teaching was only for a week. God forbid I had to teach in that school for any longer.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I teach in a different country. Love my situation. 1 hour 50 dollar plane ride from the beautiful beaches in Thailand.

You couldn't pay me enough to work in that type of school.

Luckily I did an ACP and my student teaching was only for a week. God forbid I had to teach in that school for any longer.
Interesting. I lived in Thailand for a while after retirement.

Quite a while back, well into my career, I looked at teaching at one of the international schools in Thailand. I'm glad I didn't for one reason -- my retirement is quite good, but wouldn't have been had I went the IS route. Do consider that.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:30 AM

153 posts, read 381,087 times
This is my first year in a non Title I school (year 20 in teaching...state number 4). I remember the day when I said that I would rather have a class of bad students that I could get buck with than the precious, overly entitled students that I have now. It works my nerve to have a classroom full of students that honestly believe that everything should go their way. I've never had so many students that just do not listen to you. They hear you, but you are ignored. They respond/answer when they are ready. Oh, this is kindergarten.

The problems are not limited to Title 1 schools. These issues are where we are now as a society. These types of classrooms are the rule and not the exception.

What can we do?? I'm leaving in August to take my career overseas. It's time to do something new.

Last edited by ambersmom722; 03-19-2017 at 05:39 AM..

Old 03-19-2017, 06:22 AM

45,498 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Quote:
I teach in a different country.........................

Which, had you said this from the beginning, would have forestalled the miscommunication and rancor. Most, if not all of us, who have commented are approaching your "issues" from the perspective of US policies, experiences and educational practices.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:31 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,192,596 times
Quote:
Again I ask, how long have you been a teacher?
And let me ask an added question -- how many different schools or school systems have you taught in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not going to answer the "How long have you been teaching?" question, then?
It was answered in the OP, very first sentence:
Quote:
I had to observe and student teach at a low income school.

Was amazed at how disrespectful the students were.

Constant talking, getting up out of the seat and general class disruptions.

Never seen anything quite like it.

The teacher could barely teach as she was constantly having to deal with trouble makers and talking over students.

On one hand, it's admirable how they can do it. However, at the same token, I don't why they put up with an admin and school system that allows this kind of circus to carry on in their classrooms.

On top of it being stress from hell for the teachers, I feel sorry for the few kids in the class that actually want to learn.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
Quote:
Well, he has a right not to answer a personal question.
Especially if the answer works against one's credibility.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:29 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
It was answered in the OP, very first sentence:
That doesn't answer anything, though.

I could say the same thing, but also subsequently taught for years at a costly specialized private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching