Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:29 AM

25 posts, read 18,723 times

Advertisements

Hey, all.

I intend to pursue a career as a private high school English teacher. I'm considering going for my Master's after graduating from undergrad this coming year.

I know it'll probably vary by school, but does anyone know if a Master's in English or a Master's in Education would be more beneficial to get hired at a private school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 11:08 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,702,253 times
Either one will get you hired at a private school. It really depends on what you want to focus on, as an MA in English will focus on literature and analysis while an MA in Education will focus on teaching.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:59 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,747 times
Do you have a teaching license? Can you get it without much added trouble while pursuing your Master's in English? I don't know where you are or what the private schools there expect from potential hires. However around here the private schools like their teachers to have advanced degrees in their subject matter but still expect them to be licensed to teach by the state.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:29 PM

289 posts, read 220,166 times
I got my MA in Education as it ran concurrent with getting my teacher's certification. This route was much easier than getting a MA in History.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:31 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,606,279 times
Neither! Avoid teaching at all costs.

May I ask why you've decided on such a narrow career field? Private high school English teacher is an incredibly narrow field. Are there a lot of private high schools in your area? Have you researched the actual need for private high school English teachers?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
May I ask why you've decided on such a narrow career field? Private high school English teacher is an incredibly narrow field. Are there a lot of private high schools in your area? Have you researched the actual need for private high school English teachers?
It's not an incredibly narrow field at all; there are some 30,000+ private schools in America, and there will always be a need for English teachers, seeing as English is one of the few core subjects that almost every single school offers and requires. I'm not looking for private high schools specifically in my area either. I'm more than willing, and in fact eager, to travel and move.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:59 PM

Of those about 11k have high school level classes. Most teachers leave the profession in the first 5 years. It is a very difficult job. You want to make sure you're not over limited in your opportunities. You want to make sure you can do something else just in case it doesn't work out.

https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/pss/tabl...le_2013_04.asp

Old 08-01-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Of those about 11k have high school level classes. Most teachers leave the profession in the first 5 years. It is a very difficult job. You want to make sure you're not over limited in your opportunities. You want to make sure you can do something else just in case it doesn't work out.

https://nces.ed.gov/surveys/pss/tabl...le_2013_04.asp
Thanks for worrying so much about my future job prospects? Clearly you have something against the teaching profession. I already know it's a difficult job, as I've been working with all age groups of kids for the past 6 years. I'm not going into teaching because I can't do anything else. I've worked/interned in advertising, business development, speech writing, etc, but nothing has been as enjoyable to me as teaching. And even if I leave the profession eventually, so what? People change careers all the time.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:50 PM

Actually, I am a teacher. I have been for many years. That's why I want to make sure you know what to expect. Clearly you already know everything. I'm sure you'll do great.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:35 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,086,119 times
I would say get hired now and don't bother getting your masters unless your school is going to increase your salary for it... Teaching doesn't pay well, especially at private schools, so you don't want to be adding unnecessary debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching