Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 01:49 PM

599 posts, read 693,690 times

Advertisements

What makes you passionate about teaching and does that passion still exist?

The pay is low and it’s super stressful. How do you overcome this stress and do you still want to teach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 09:23 PM

74 posts, read 91,467 times
The pay is more than I've ever made in my life and I'm not stressed.

Old 01-31-2018, 11:34 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
A true adrenaline junkie..and a vow of poverty and isolation makes it bearable.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:38 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,240,580 times
I've been trying to change the world for 33 years now. The fire is still strong. I literally run into my classroom every period because I'm so excited about teaching my students. My classroom practice is that the students stand when I enter the room, so when I run or skip in, I'm directing them to stand. As we've had no heat most of the time, I also lead them in doing five jumping jacks at the beginning of class to get warm. When they moan, I just tell them that if my 57-year-old legs can do jumping jacks, then their 16-to-20-year-old legs can do it even better.

I love my job, even with all the challenges of being in an inner-city school for 27 years. It is extremely stressful, not always (or even mostly) because of the students, but I'm usually excited to go to school.

Now that is a 180 from last year, when I was teaching a couple of math classes that I had never taught and after teaching only French for 20 years. Two good friends kept me from retiring and I'm glad they did. This year I'm having the best year I've ever had out of 33 years. I have no idea when I'll be ready to go. It is really good to know that I can leave at any time, though, if we get another evil principal, for example. Life is too long to live with an evil boss.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:41 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,240,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The adrenaline rush is constant and can cause major health issues, but I'm a junkie too!

Old 01-31-2018, 05:21 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
To make a difference. Unfortunately, with the current pay situation I can't afford to make a difference. My desire to make a difference is still there but it's held in check by the realization that I really need to find a real job with a real paycheck so I don't invest like I should. It's hard to invest in where you are while looking for a better situation. If I could afford this job it would be perfect. Plenty of opportunities to make a difference, great coworkers and building administrators. Unfortunately, the pay is lower than any district around us and they refuse to change that so the turn over rate is very high. Teachers take the job then the reality of trying to live on the pay wears them down. We lost another teacher last week and two more have said they are looking for corporate jobs.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:36 AM

393 posts, read 409,824 times
Honestly: June, July, and August.

Also, I wanted to coach. But as I grew in the profession I found that I had a talent for creating fun learning activities for the kids. I could take a group of rough apathetic students, and mold a creative fun lesson into something they actually enjoyed to do.

The pay is not great, but with extra supervision, and a part time job I make a decent amount, enough to raise a family in a good life, not extravagant, but relatively middle class plus. Yet, compared to others, I don't even compare. And as I age into the profession I find little separates the pay from rookie teachers and myself with 30 years experience and a Masters. (in fact the difference is only 20K which I feel is a travesty beyond all but that is another story) (while I rant, I see many young teachers stressed to the point of mental breakdowns, and will soon move on, where as old reliable, me, just keeps plugging along)

The stress is real, but...it's also your attitude. I let everything roll off my back. I just try to have fun. Some days are rough, most are good. Basically it's the crap the administration makes you do that is stressful. I do what I have to do, but my attitude is, "if you can find someone to do what I do, and teach the way I do, good luck and transfer me out", with that attitude, and a good work ethic, I've made teaching a career, that is pretty good.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Honestly: June, July, and August.

Also, I wanted to coach. But as I grew in the profession I found that I had a talent for creating fun learning activities for the kids. I could take a group of rough apathetic students, and mold a creative fun lesson into something they actually enjoyed to do.

The pay is not great, but with extra supervision, and a part time job I make a decent amount, enough to raise a family in a good life, not extravagant, but relatively middle class plus. Yet, compared to others, I don't even compare. And as I age into the profession I find little separates the pay from rookie teachers and myself with 30 years experience and a Masters. (in fact the difference is only 20K which I feel is a travesty beyond all but that is another story) (while I rant, I see many young teachers stressed to the point of mental breakdowns, and will soon move on, where as old reliable, me, just keeps plugging along)

The stress is real, but...it's also your attitude. I let everything roll off my back. I just try to have fun. Some days are rough, most are good. Basically it's the crap the administration makes you do that is stressful. I do what I have to do, but my attitude is, "if you can find someone to do what I do, and teach the way I do, good luck and transfer me out", with that attitude, and a good work ethic, I've made teaching a career, that is pretty good.
Funny but July and August are something I dislike about teaching. (I need a break in June). I'd much rather teach in a year round system with the breaks scattered throughout the year. I like to work at a burn out pace and find myself wishing I could bank summer time to use later by August.

Now would be a good time. I have a class that is really struggling and if I had time to rewrite the ancillaries I could address some of their issues but I just don't have the time to do that right now. I also find that after the long summer break I get lazy. It takes me a while to ramp back up after school starts....and then there's the fact that my students forget so much over the summer.

IMO there's much to not like about June, July and August.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I'm thinking I'll get sainthood about 5 years after this job kills me, lol

Old 02-03-2018, 10:04 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times
When I became a teacher the US needed teachers, people made it a lifelong profession and it carried a degree of respect and cachet in a community. Teachers also still had control over their classrooms.

Teaching was a family tradition. Also my mother said she'd finance my college education if I became an English teacher.

I didn't stay very long when I saw where things were headed. Instead I found another career where I could make a difference and where the burnout rate was even higher.

Now I'm retired. My desire to connect with others and teach them never goes away. But I get to do it on my terms and at my own enjoyment whenever I see an opportunity.

Some of us just never learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching