Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 04:14 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,345,542 times

Advertisements

What do you think of the proposed National School Walkout on March 14? Women’s March Youth EMPOWER is calling for students, teachers and administrators to walk out of school at 10 am on that day for 17 minutes to protest Congress’ inaction in the wake of school shootings.

My initial thought is I’m leary of participating in such an action (it’s a declared “protest”) with my elementary students. We are always told to keep our political views out of our teaching. We are not supposed to push a political agenda. Colleagues seem to be biting at the bit to participate, but wouldn’t we be using the school day and our students as political pawns?

Old 02-17-2018, 04:23 PM

20,192 posts, read 9,104,849 times
Don't people get tired of these silly walk outs? What do they accomplish?

Old 02-17-2018, 04:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,773,386 times
I teach in high school. I won’t have to face the criticism in terms of exposing kids to something they don’t already know about.

I think it would be smart for the walkout to also include a sickout for those who can’t do a walkout.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:09 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,592,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Don't people get tired of these silly walk outs? What do they accomplish?
Getting out of class....

Old 02-17-2018, 05:38 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,000,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Getting out of class....
Right, because that's the real objective. Go kids, go. Adults can't seem to handle gun control, unfortunately. I wish you all the best.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:54 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,724,718 times
It should be interesting to hear what our district/principal says about it.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:05 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,345,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It should be interesting to hear what our district/principal says about it.
Same here.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:14 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,249,603 times
Our school is on the Civil Rights trail partly because our students took part in walk-outs years ago. I don't know if our students are as politically involved and aware as their predecessors were. I doubt they will participate. If they do, I will likely stay in the classroom unless directed otherwise by an administrator. I will maintain neutrality because that is what my sense of professionalism tells me to do. I may change my mind in the future if circumstances change, but I don't expect to.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:59 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,131,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
What do you think of the proposed National School Walkout on March 14? Women’s March Youth EMPOWER is calling for students, teachers and administrators to walk out of school at 10 am on that day for 17 minutes to protest Congress’ inaction in the wake of school shootings.
Doesn't protesting this inaction imply a desired pro-action? If I'm not mistaken; there is more than one desired proactive approach being desired by voters. Meaning ... parents. And taxpayers.

In my county & others; the act of Congress that has been proposed by our elected Sheriff has been to do away with the ironic "school as a no-firearm zone" & instead train & license school staff as permitted concealed carry holders.

Is that what you will be advocating?

Quote:
Colleagues seem to be biting at the bit to participate, but wouldn’t we be using the school day and our students as political pawns?
Yes.

What are the planned provisions for students who's parents object?

Is the school prepared to handle the harassment & potential bullying that might occur towards the students whose parents objected?

Is the school planning on requiring parental consent?

Is the school district willing to alienate the taxpayers that vote on budget increases & bond issues?

Old 02-17-2018, 07:27 PM

20,130 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Quote:

My initial thought is I’m leary of participating in such an action (it’s a declared “protest”) with my elementary students. We are always told to keep our political views out of our teaching. We are not supposed to push a political agenda. Colleagues seem to be biting at the bit to participate, but wouldn’t we be using the school day and our students as political pawns?
Your gut reaction is right. I can not begin to imagine the righteous fury of parents who have alternate political views at a school or teacher sanctioning the use of their child to make a political point. Elementary kids should not be inundated with political messaging, no matter how compelling it seems to the educator charged with their care. Children deserve the right to be free from political stress, not to mention in this case, they shouldn't have adults charged with their safety implying they won't be safe unless ABC happens when the whole walk out is about how ABC isn't happening.

High school students are a different story, since they are capable of independent political thought, and deciding whether or not they will be charged with skipping if they choose to protest is a discussion worth considering. But it needs to be their choice as to whether they want to try to protest or not - not their teachers telling them they should protest. Kids should never be used as pawns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching