Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2015, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,566 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone could please please help me. I am a qualified primary school teacher in Ireland. I have 6 years teaching experience and am hoping to move to New York in 2016. I know there are state exams to qualify to teach in the state of NY...
I've been looking online but so overwhelmed and confused....does anybody have any information? What is the difference between public and private schools?
Where should I start??
I'd appreciate ANY help or information..

Thanks,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 11:06 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Lisa, I live in New York State and I may be able to answer some of your questions.

First of all, the American system of education is completely, completely different from any European system, especially the UK and Ireland. And I mean everything is different, from "grade levels" or "year" as you would call them, to uniform policies, to not providing every student with a school lunch or dinner, etc.

In the US, education is not centralized at all.

Private schools are run by either individuals, companies, or religious organizations. They can hire unlicensed teachers or choose to only hire licensed teachers. However, certain schools under certain conditions, are mandated to hire no more than 20 percent of their staff as unlicensed. Again, this applies to the state of New York only. The individual state and sometimes the local municipality (county or city) can legally make "rules" that affect both private and public schools. The "rules" in New York state do not apply to Vermont, etc. and the "rules" in New York City will not apply to the city of Buffalo which is in New York State.

Public schools are funded by state and city money. They can only hire teachers with a certification issued by that particular state. Certification requirements in each state vary, sometimes the differences are extensive. New York state has one of the most stringent group of requirements for New York State certification. If you wanted to teach in a public school, you would need to attend an American college at either the undergraduate or graduate level, then take those exams that you looked at online.

You do not mention where in New York State you plan to relocate. It's a big state and that makes a difference.

If you needed to start work, assuming you could get all of the required work visas, etc. I would look into a private school that caters to international students, such as the United Nations school. Other areas that would be willing to hire someone from Ireland would be day care centers. There is often a lot of turnover at daycare centers because the hours are long, pay is low, often not good "benefits" or no benefits". Private schools and daycare centers offer no or limited vacation pay, health insurance, savings or pension plans, etc. Most people prefer to teach in a public school because the pay is better and they offer health insurance and some sort of retirement plan. But you are a long way from being qualified to work in a public school. If you are interested in public school teaching, I would suggest not relocating to New York, which has a surplus of teachers and a low need to hire for public school, but rather one of the other states in the South or Southwest, where there is a teacher shortage and there might be a way for you to work in a public school through an "alternative certification route."

Just about anywhere in the U.S. you would need the equivalent of an American Bachelor's degree. To be a teacher assistant or aide, you only need the equivalent of a American high school diploma.

Also, if you are interested in teaching "primary" or what we call here "elementary" school grades, unless you are specifically teaching in a private school catering to British and Irish ex-pats, you would need to know American history and American children's literature. As I said, our curriculum is extremely different.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,824 times
Hi Lisa, I know that it is many years later - but I am currently in your situation and am wondering how you got on?? I am currently in your previous situation and cannot find any information online. I will be qualified next year, then need to do the dip and then am thinking of moving.

Thanks a mill

Old 06-28-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahj2019 View Post
Hi Lisa, I know that it is many years later - but I am currently in your situation and am wondering how you got on?? I am currently in your previous situation and cannot find any information online. I will be qualified next year, then need to do the dip and then am thinking of moving.

Thanks a mill
If you can't find the information online for international applicants, then make the international phone call (EST) and call the teaching certification office in Albany, New York.

The original information that I provided to the OP still stands. If you wish to be employed in New York State, your best recourse is to skip New York State certification and apply at a private school. There are too many applicants and not enough jobs here in all fields. If you're from Ireland, like the OP, you might find something at at a Catholic school if you have some connections with the Church in Ireland.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:12 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,062,046 times
But wouldn't they (OP and new poster) FIRST have to find out if they have the legal right to work in the U.S. at all?

I'm always puzzled by posts from people around the world simply stating "I want to move to the U.S. next month, what should I do?" -- when of course the first thing to do is to see what legal route, if any, they even HAVE to come to the U.S.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:18 PM

Right, but I think Irish citizens have some sort of special work visa that makes it relatively easy for them to work and live here. At least they used to have that. Many come to my area to work, at least temporarily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching