Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 08:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Go to the education website for the state you are moving to. It should tell you what the policy is. Some states do have reciprocity, but most do not start you at the year you have finished in your old state. Not necessarily year 0, but also not usually year 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
You may want to even look at individual school districts. For example, the maximum entry step in my district is step 15 (initial placement by years of experience). Neighboring districts within the same state have different maximum entry steps.
My former district sometimes gave credit for up to three years of teaching experience. Other districts in my area gave zero years and a few gave up to five years.

Regarding retirement. This also depends on the district but in general (in my state) there is a "rule of 85" you need to be at least 55 and have 30 years of teaching experience in my state to retire and start to receive your pension. However, retiring can be difficult with needing ten years of private health insurance before you start on Medicare at age 65.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 05:29 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My former district sometimes gave credit for up to three years of teaching experience. Other districts in my area gave zero years and a few gave up to five years.

That does seem quite low.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:29 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That does seem quite low.
It all depends on the district, I don’t think any state has rules about how much experience must be credited for teachers transferring out of state and only a few do for those transferring within the state. The NoVa area has historically been pretty generous but even they, until the last decade or so, weren’t uniform in granting experience credit for teachers with the same experience hired in the same year. How much credit districts are willing to give seems to to dependent on how easy or difficult they perceive filling a particular spot might be. As a minority middle school science teacher, starting about mid career I almost always got the maximum credit I was eligible for, but sometimes later would find out the social studies or language arts teacher hired within days of me got none. There were also places/times I got zero because that was their official policy. At one place early in my career I was told by a principal in a district that did have a credit transfer policy that it was reserved for administrators and coaches.

There is no state I know of that transfers tenure status for out-of-state teachers. There are states that will transfer tenure status for in-state transfers after a shorter probationary period, either one or two years. There are states that allow the district to decide in transfer cases. I would be shocked if there any states or districts that automatically transferred tenured status at hiring, hopefully no one is that stupid.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:53 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Your wife's NYS pension will not transfer to NJ, nor will her years of pension service credit. She can withdraw her contributions from the NYS pension plan. In fact, she will have no choice since she won't be vested with less than 10 years of service credit. She will have to start over for tenure, most likely. NYS uses a different set of criteria. The curriculum and student standardized tests are also different, varying by subject matter and grade level.

The other option would be to commute to a job in NYS from NJ. Many do. I know plenty who live in Jersey and work in Staten Island. However, the opposite is not possible. NJ has a residency requirement for public school personnel.

Five years is nothing. If she wants to switch, the earlier the better.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:45 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Your wife's NYS pension will not transfer to NJ, nor will her years of pension service credit. She can withdraw her contributions from the NYS pension plan. In fact, she will have no choice since she won't be vested with less than 10 years of service credit. She will have to start over for tenure, most likely. NYS uses a different set of criteria. The curriculum and student standardized tests are also different, varying by subject matter and grade level.

The other option would be to commute to a job in NYS from NJ. Many do. I know plenty who live in Jersey and work in Staten Island. However, the opposite is not possible. NJ has a residency requirement for public school personnel.

Five years is nothing. If she wants to switch, the earlier the better.
thanks. she is vested, however.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:19 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
thanks. she is vested, however.
If she is vested, then she can't be in tier VI and have only worked 5 years unless she was able to transfer service credit from another public pension. Since the mid 2000s, you need 10 years of service credit in order to be vested. If she's vested, then she'll get a pension based on her last few years of working in NYS, but she still can't transfer it to NJ.

Maybe, she worked for a couple of different districts in NYS and she got tenure in the last one.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 03-19-2019 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 03-31-2019, 06:38 AM

2 posts, read 2,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarstowC View Post
My wife was a teacher and we moved around a lot.

For tenure purposes, you will usually start off at 0 at your new school district. I have never seen a school district grant someone tenure when moving in from another district, even within the same state, even within the same city.
I know this is an old thread but I Just wanted to say in case someone comes across this, that this statement is not necessarily true. It must vary by location.

In Pennsylvania, once you have obtained tenure you keep it regardless of changing districts anywhere within the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching