Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 03:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

It is a myth that all teachers have union protection, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 04:34 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Teachers that were around too long are overpaid. Not new teachers. Or ones out of college. But yes their unions help. Severence pay and not paying for healthcare. But that's for establish teachers.
Severance pay? School districts are about the only employers I have ever heard of that will actually take money back from teachers that quit (my wife's district had a $10k or 10%, whichever was greater, penalty for quitting after April 1st of the previous year) and will refuse to allow you to rollover your retirement accounts. Last thing they are going to do is give you money for leaving.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
No it's not - at least not for most teachers across the nation. There is no severance package in any system I know. I will pay for healthcare every year until the day I die. I'll be paying for it even after retirement, although there is a partial reimbursement each year for some of what I pay monthly.

I really would love to know exactly where these systems are that have all of these wonderful benefits out there that the ill-informed public rants on and on about. Please point them out to the rest of us teachers so we know where to apply to next year.

There may be a small handful of systems that have these salaries/benefits, but they sure as Hell aren't representative of the rest of the nation.

I'd like to know too.
We pay over $420/mo. for a family plan. A retiree pays all but $100 of the monthly premium, so it gets pricey.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:00 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Our family plan is nearly $700/month to include a spouse and child.

As far as salary, I heard on ABC News Monday night that top software developers are averaging $123, 000/year. That's 2 1/2 times what I make now after teaching for 27 years. I may never make that much, but I'm willing to bet that I'll be good enough to break $100K before I can't work any longer. If I stay in teaching, I'll never even break $50K in my district.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:37 AM

57 posts, read 86,205 times
there is no severance package in public school teaching. this is not merrill lynch or morgan stanley giving a banker a few hundred thousand or a CEO a few million to show him out the door.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Teachers that were around too long are overpaid.
Explain, please.

Quote:
Not new teachers.
New teachers are paid very little.

Quote:
Or ones out of college.
I'm not aware of any teaching positions that don't require at a bachelor's degree.

Quote:
But yes their unions help.
Please be more specific.

Quote:
Severence pay and not paying for healthcare.
um...

Do you have any idea what you're talking about here?

Quote:
But that's for establish teachers.
It appears you have a bucketful of inaccurate misconceptions. Where do you get these?

Old 03-30-2013, 04:51 PM

427 posts, read 947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
lets say they start at 30k but they only work 180 days thats half the year so really teachers start off making 60k. Experienced teachers make 50k thats six figures. Am I missing something?
Yes. It's really 30k.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,472 times
Teachers do not get paid for working summers. They are typically paid a salary of 9 months stretched out over a period of 12 months. Also most of us take an unpaid maternity leave, unless you have enough sick days to use. Usually the most senior teachers have that amount saved and not the new teachers. Typically the new teachers are the ones having babies if you think about it.

That being said, there are some districts that make more money than others. For example, Mt Lebanon starts at 45k. That is the minority and not the majority. Fort Cherry starts at 27K last I checked. It takes YEARS to make really good pay in most districts. The norm is not Mt Lebanon or Upper St Clair. My point is that it is unfair to lump everyone in the same category and the majority of the teachers certainly do not make 6 figures.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It is a myth that all teachers have union protection, as well.
If your principal wants you gone, you will be gone. The only protected teachers are the ones with principals who are too lazy to do the leg work to get rid of them.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:11 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
lets say they start at 30k but they only work 180 days thats half the year so really teachers start off making 60k. Experienced teachers make 50k thats six figures. Am I missing something?
How do you figure that 180 days is half a work year? Please list the professions where it's the norm to work 360 days per year. When I was an engineer, my work year was 215 days because I had Saturdays and Sundays off, six weeks vacation and 16 holidays off per year. I don't know anyone who works 360 days per year. My dh works a lot and he only works about 240 days per year. Please enlighten us as to how you figure 180 days is half a year worked. I do know people who work more days than dh but they are paid well into six figures for doing so by the time overtime is factored in.

If you count days, I work 90% of the number of days I worked as an engineer. If you count hours, I work 120% of the hours I worked as an engineer. Please enlighten me as to how this comes out to be half a year worked....but I'll gladly take 90% of the salary I had as an engineer. Then I would be making good money.

And what you are missing is that teacher makes $30K not $60K. Money does not materialize in our checking accounts because our work year has fewer days than yours. FTR. do YOU work 360 days per year?

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 06-24-2013 at 12:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching