Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 06:46 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,522 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting into the teaching profession.. I have tutored a few 6th - 8th grade students in the past and really enjoyed it. Am just wondering what it would be like to get into teaching full time.. what would you say are the pros / cons of being a middle school teacher? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 07:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
For me, personally, middle school aged students aren't as difficult to handle, behavior-wise, when they're one-on-one or in small groups as they are when they're in a large group. But essentially, if you relate well to that age group in tutoring, you'll probably relate to them well in the classroom, as long as you establish and enforce mandatory order in your classroom. It's a fun age group, but in large numbers, they can be a handful.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:46 PM

72 posts, read 221,024 times
I don't know about Chicago but i wouldn't want to be a middle school teacher here in Los Angeles. Oh the bureaucracy.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:45 AM

41 posts, read 107,275 times
middle school kids vary widely in how they are mature, some are kids in adults bodies, and some are adults in kids bodies, If you can find a system that separates them . some schools have attendance centers where just one grade attends each school, middle school is where they get their identity that will take then through high school and perhaps life, its also where they find out if they are "dateable"

Old 01-19-2009, 10:13 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,929 times
I teach high school, and I love it. It takes a special breed to teach middle school, and I am not one of those people. If you enjoy that age group, you may be a part of that breed. Pros of teaching are that you are in a profession of people that make a difference in the lives of students. Cons are the amount of personal money that you will spend to supplement your classroom and the amount of paperwork that comes with teaching. I firmly believe that teaching is a "calling". If you feel in your heart that you should be a teacher, then you should teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching