Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,031,690 times

Advertisements

How can I go about doing this not only in the U.S. but in another country? I'm interested in Latin America (Mexico or Central America). It has crossed my mind but I have never really considered it, I have volunteered at Adult Education where I teach English to non-native speakers. Is it difficult to teach ESL in another country vs. in the United States & would you recommend it? I have only visited 3 Latin American places: Mexico, Spain, & *Puerto Rico (*US commonwealth) but would love to go if the opportunity presented itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:32 AM

288 posts, read 918,245 times
Go here to talk to others who have done, are doing the same: Job Discussion Forums :: Index

Go here to look for a job:
Dave's ESL Cafe International Job Board - International Job Board

I taught EFL in South Korea for nearly 10 years. Found my first job through the eslcafe back in 1997.

By the way, when you teach English in a non-English speaking country, you are teaching EFL (English as a Foreign Language), not ESL. Seems like it'd be very similar, but student motivation is extremely different. How they will use English, where they can practice it, why they are learning it and more make ESL and EFL different.

I LOVED my experiences in Korea. Wouldn't trade them for anything at all.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
I suggest you also check out Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages . If you want to teach at the university level in the USA, you will need a M.A. in TESOL. For teaching overseas at a non-university level, usually one needs some kind of ESL/EFL teaching certificate. Different countries may have different requirements as to which teaching certificate they require.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching