Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 06:23 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,530,192 times

Advertisements

Hi there, 2 part question with 2 different subjects.
I just want to know if this is true, if it is, depending on the state, I would always have something to fall back on: Which states do you only need just a college degree to substitute teach? In other words, where you don't have to get a teaching certificate as well.

Also, if you worked in say, a state with a income tax and live in a state without an income tax and that employer lays you off or you quit for cause or whatever, then you wind up collecting UI benefits in the state that you live in, the one without the state income tax, do you still have to pay the state with income tax part of your UI benefits, even though you only worked there, but did not and do not reside there? I thought UI was something that you get through the state that you live and that other states do not get any part of that. If that is the case, why did the state that I colleted it from, without the income tax, offer to only withold federal, but not state taxes of anykind?
I hope I'm right in my assumption that I don't have to pay state taxes on UI benefits of anykind if I live in a state w/o income tax (WA). Otherwise, I am big time screwed, I didn't know the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 06:36 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Hi there, 2 part question with 2 different subjects.
I just want to know if this is true, if it is, depending on the state, I would always have something to fall back on: Which states do you only need just a college degree to substitute teach? In other words, where you don't have to get a teaching certificate as well.

Not sureabout UI benefits. But as for subing- in Duval County you can sub with an AA degree. ($8 hr.) or batchelors ($10 hr.) Doesn't have to be in education.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 27,362 times
in NYC you need a bacehlors to sub but no certification....BUTTTT if you work more than 40 hours per school year then you will need to prove that you are working towards your education degree....6 credits per year.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
In Pennsylvania, it depends on the district. In the school district I live in, you can get on the sub list if you just have a bachelors but you can only sub so many hours per week. The reality is that there are so many ed majors and retired teachers available that they will be the ones getting the sub jobs before someone without education certification.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:44 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,574 times
When I taught in Montana we were so short of subs I think they took almost anyone! I know you didn't need a degree. Same thing in Wyoming. When I was going to college to get my degree I got to sub after have "x" amount of hours toward my degree.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 AM

288 posts, read 918,187 times
In Oklahoma, you merely have to be a high school graduate to sub, but you are limited on how many days per school year that you can sub.

But, if you are a college grad, you'll make more and can sub more days. And if you are certified, you'll make still more, plus have an unlimited number of days you can sub.

Even better is to be a teacher's assistant or paraprofessional or whatever they call it where you are. No limits on how many days you can work (steady employment = steady paycheck). In Oklahoma anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching