Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 PM

10 posts, read 27,624 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am currently a student and am majoring in elementary Education at a small college in North Florida, Flagler College in St. Augustine to be specific. My fiancee and I are starting our job search early because of the economy and job cuts recently. I am looking for any resources for teaching jobs or personal recommendations for areas to teach! I am willing to move anywhere and love all types of weather. Websites and personal recommendations are awesome, and any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance !
Anthony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apacholek View Post
Hi,

I am currently a student and am majoring in elementary Education at a small college in North Florida, Flagler College in St. Augustine to be specific. My fiancee and I are starting our job search early because of the economy and job cuts recently. I am looking for any resources for teaching jobs or personal recommendations for areas to teach! I am willing to move anywhere and love all types of weather. Websites and personal recommendations are awesome, and any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance !
Anthony
I highly recommend you possibly work on obtaining an endorsement in special ed, math, or science. The job market is HORRIBLE for elementary teachers. Elementary education is an extremely over saturated field. I am an unemployed elementary teacher in Arizona so I know.

If elementary education is your only career goal I strongly recommend that you start subbing or working as an instructional assistant. Part of finding a job in elementary education isn't what you know but who you know.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:10 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
I agree. Even as a SPED teacher I'm finding the job market getting tighter. Lucky for me I was hired before the job market tanked.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:29 AM

314 posts, read 936,062 times
a friend of mine just graduated and has been working as a substitute since the job market is so terrible.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoucare? View Post
a friend of mine just graduated and has been working as a substitute since the job market is so terrible.
Actually this is very common even in a fairly good market. It gives schools the chance to test drive a new teacher so to speak. It is similar to a lot of businesses going the temp to hire route.

I think over the next 5 years or so it is going to be difficult to find a teaching job anywhere. With the cuts in funding at the state and federal levels so many districts are either just keeping their heads above water and not hiring or laying off teachers to meet budgets. Make yourself as marketable as possible-get a degree in a second language--Somalian would be a great one--get a Special Ed, ESL, any kind of endorsement. If you can coach anything that will also help.

Keep in mind that your teaching degree may not be transferable from state to state. You may need extra classes in some states, different testing requirements, etc. so having a license in the state in which you will apply will help tremendously--BEFORE you start applying for jobs.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:24 AM

90 posts, read 330,220 times
All I have to say is you will definitely need to move. The job market in St.johns/Duval/Clay is at an all time low.

Substituting is great, however, in this area there are so many subs (teacher's with out jobs) that it's hard to even get a sub job from day to day. It is a least a two month wait to get registered to sub in Duval. If you are looking to have substituting as your main income, you'll be struggling to say the least. Duval pays weekly at $70/day. St. Johns pays monthly (one pay check a month) at 75-80/day. You also have to take in to account that when the school is closed (Holidays, teacher work days, rain days, etc.) there's no pay for that day. I'm not trying to steer you away from the subing idea, it is a great way to get to know the schools and principals, but there's alot to consider (especially in the tri county area).

Old 07-09-2009, 08:41 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
I remember hearing from the education majors in college that the Spotsylvania, Stafford, and Prince William counties in Virginia are among the fastest-growing in the nation and so are building more/bigger schools.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 PM

10 posts, read 27,624 times
How might I get gifted certified ? do I have to take more time in school or just pass a test or some sort? I have been looking for information about it and am having trouble!

Old 07-09-2009, 02:43 PM

90 posts, read 330,220 times
If you go to FLDOE.ORG, it will have all the requirements listed for certifications.
Gifted is actually an endorsement not a certification ....

Administrative Rule 6A-4.01791

Old 07-09-2009, 08:00 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apacholek View Post
How might I get gifted certified ? do I have to take more time in school or just pass a test or some sort? I have been looking for information about it and am having trouble!
Ask your academic advisor or someone at the School of Education where you are attending. Hopefully, they will be able to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching