Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Many Hours?
0-5 8 17.78%
6-10 8 17.78%
11-15 10 22.22%
16-20 11 24.44%
21+ 8 17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:21 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,201 times

Advertisements

For current teachers or those that have taught, about how many hours a week do you put in outside of the classroom during the school years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
This question has been asked on here before and I will tell you that it depends on many variables from how long they have been teaching, to what time of year it is, to what grade they teach, to their current principal's philosophy of the purpose of teacher planning. Basically it is much more than the public, politicians, students, and parents can imagine but not as high as some teachers claim. I averaged 10 hours beyond contract time a week.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This question has been asked on here before and I will tell you that it depends on many variables from how long they have been teaching, to what time of year it is, to what grade they teach, to their current principal's philosophy of the purpose of teacher planning. Basically it is much more than the public, politicians, students, and parents can imagine but not as high as some teachers claim. I averaged 10 hours beyond contract time a week.
During my first 2-3 years, I spent most Saturdays in my classroom, and evenings at home, planning. Thirty years later, I still go in 30 minutes early each day, when the copiers are available, and there aren't as many distractions. A couple of times a year, I grade essays at home, but nothing like our Language Arts people have to do.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:42 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Depends on what you call "work." If you mean actually paper grading and direct classroom stuff then it is probably 10-20. If work includes looking for materials, thinking about activities and such, then it is probably closer to 30-40 hours.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:49 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Depends on what you call "work." If you mean actually paper grading and direct classroom stuff then it is probably 10-20. If work includes looking for materials, thinking about activities and such, then it is probably closer to 30-40 hours.
As far as I know, only lawyers are able to bill for time they spend "thinking" about their work.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
If all I did was 10 hours post contracted hours, I'd be so far behind I'd be fired. It takes me 15 hours to grade just one batch of lab reports (I can grade about 6 an hour) and that's after I spent 1-6 hours setting up the lab, an hour tearing it down and another hour washing the dishes. Labs alone would have me over 10 hours extra per week. As long as I'm teaching science, I'll be answering 21+ to this question. I hope, someday, to move completely to math. Then I'd be under 10 hours per week for sure. My math classes take very little prep and the push to MC tests means I don't have a lot to grade. It's my science classes that kill me time wise. I have two science classes to prep for and one math class.

My time spent on lesson prep and test writing is going down. I think I have half a dozen versions of almost all of my tests now (need that many to thwart cheating) and I do very little tweaking of my power points these days. Ditto for the labs themselves. They're all written and ready to go. Just some minor tweaking on new labs I introduced last year that didn't quite go off the way I'd planned. The math curriculum was written before I came on board so I just follow the plan. I spend a little time making smart board activities to go with the lesson but not much. It's not something I need to do every day.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
During my first 2-3 years, I spent most Saturdays in my classroom, and evenings at home, planning. Thirty years later, I still go in 30 minutes early each day, when the copiers are available, and there aren't as many distractions. A couple of times a year, I grade essays at home, but nothing like our Language Arts people have to do.
Grading has to be a nightmare for LA but the teacher who wins hands down on extra hours put in has got to be the band teacher. There should be a pay premium for band teachers. They don't have lives.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:19 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Grading has to be a nightmare for LA but the teacher who wins hands down on extra hours put in has got to be the band teacher. There should be a pay premium for band teachers. They don't have lives.
Most places do pay a premium to band teachers that also do marching band. It was just over 10 grand in my last district, a place where new teachers started at around $31,000. Their assistants, usually the feeder middle school band teachers, got around $6,000. I have no issue with it, but more and more teachers are being expected to put in extra hours off contract with no remuneration. I'm not sure I would reccomend education as a career in the current climate; it is far, far different than the education profession I entered over 25 years ago.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Most places do pay a premium to band teachers that also do marching band. It was just over 10 grand in my last district, a place where new teachers started at around $31,000. Their assistants, usually the feeder middle school band teachers, got around $6,000. I have no issue with it, but more and more teachers are being expected to put in extra hours off contract with no remuneration. I'm not sure I would reccomend education as a career in the current climate; it is far, far different than the education profession I entered over 25 years ago.
I agree. Back when I was in high school, the chemistry teacher had an extra prep period and a teaching assistant. I don't know if he got extra pay but he got help and extra time. Today, I get neither and there are times when my workload boarders on ridiculous. I plan for 24 hours outside of my contracted hours and it is not enough. I, slowly, get farther and farther behind. I'd be SOL if the semester ended before Christmas. Christmas break is my time to catch up on grading before the end of the term.

Now that I've taught math, I'm jealous of the full time math teachers. I could have a life if I taught math, which is what I actually went to school to teach. Unfortunately, there is a glut of math teachers (I was one of 150 in the last job I applied for) so it's hard to find a math job. It's not easy to find chemistry either so I'll just be glad I have a job this year. I'm not looking forward to the return of 60+ hour weeks. I wish I could bank time from the summer to use later. While I do start the year ahead, by Christmas, I'm in desperate need of some time off to catch up.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:09 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Seriously. Our elementary band teacher has a half day contract, but she regularly puts in a full day, meets with kids before school, and has evening performances throughout the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching