Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:21 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times

Advertisements

Teachers train to face school shooter - CNN.com

Teachers learn how to face school shooters.

Okay, I would definitely go to the Union on this one, I am not trained to deal with people carrying guns, and I really don't want to. This is not in my PD, so, forget it.

Position requires Masters in Special Education, and ability to take down school shooters....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 PM

687 posts, read 1,493,935 times
Interesting that it's come to this. Ten years ago I attended a training on de-escalating violent behavior in students. The training was specifically for mental health professionals, but a few of us were allowed to attend because we worked with "at risk" teens. We weren't allowed to stay for the physical takedown training. It was determined that it could open the district to lawsuits if we were to use the techniques improperly.

I guess that means teachers can't learn to protect themselves if it could cost the district, but they can be trained to face off with a gunman.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
Yes, MANDT training, I have done that. Overview | The Mandt System

But facing someone with a sawed off shot gun, and a 9 mm pistol? The time for de escalation is pretty much a done deal, especially if they have already started the rampage.

This is time for the SWAT team, not a SPED teacher. I am glad to be out of teaching, if this is what it has come down to...I worked at behavior schools, where pat downs and metal detectors were the norm, and this was fifteen years ago.

Maybe all schools need metal detectors....

Old 10-02-2013, 04:09 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
It's just another certification.

In reality, although I've been shooting as long as I can remember, was in the Navy (although my sidearms there were Sidewinder and Sparrow missiles with a 20mm cannon as a backup gun) I really have an issue with arming teachers. Forget a bad guy coming in, there will always be a couple kids who are going to obsess about that gun and try to get it.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:02 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
Not sure if a master's is required to engage in a gun fight? May be we just ought to add BOOT CAMP to teacher prep classes at the university. We can all join the ROTC!

I teach in Detroit, there is no way I would carry a firearm in school. Too many kids in the building would be looking for a way to get their hands on it.
I have been shooting competitively for 10 years and am a life time member of the NRA and still would NOT endorse guns in school...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-02-2013 at 07:26 AM..

Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
I have some copper pipes from past experiment in my room. Somehow a rope handle was placed on one. It is by the door. If we have an alert I am ready. I have told my children I will not die begging. My intent is to kill any intruder. Viciously. With my hands and pipe. I ID kids early eac year I can rely on. "Don't give up the ship." ever.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I have some copper pipes from past experiment in my room. Somehow a rope handle was placed on one. It is by the door. If we have an alert I am ready. I have told my children I will not die begging. My intent is to kill any intruder. Viciously. With my hands and pipe. I ID kids early eac year I can rely on. "Don't give up the ship." ever.
By ANY means necessary...just not with a gun.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
By ANY means necessary...just not with a gun.
Wasp spray shoots over 20 feet and you can take someone down if you hit them in the face (they actually require medical treatment). It's good to keep in your desk at school or in your night stand if someone breaks in at night. Just remember to buy new cans every now and again. It won't store forever.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:04 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Teachers train to face school shooter - CNN.com

Teachers learn how to face school shooters.

Okay, I would definitely go to the Union on this one, I am not trained to deal with people carrying guns, and I really don't want to. This is not in my PD, so, forget it.

Position requires Masters in Special Education, and ability to take down school shooters....
Would you rather be trained or untrained should such an emergency arise?

Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Would you rather be trained or untrained should such an emergency arise?

I know law enforcement folks who would NEVER confront an armed individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching