Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 06:52 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times

Advertisements

All,
I am going to be a military recruiter soon, and one of the things I will have to do is administer teh ASVAB in high schools. I was just wondering f you could take a moment and tell me some of the issues you have seen with this.

Does your school allow ASVAB testing? Why or why not?
What kind of things do you wish your school's recruiter did differently? What can I do right to help build a healthy relationship with my high school teachers?
What concerns or drawbacks of allowing students to take the ASVAB will I encounter or need to address?

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:33 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Our kids have to opt in to do the testing, which is new. It used to be mandatory. I remember when my daughter took it and her suggested career was in Sports medicine. She hates blood, needles, etc and does not watch sports, but she did manage the HS track team for two years so I guess she must have listed that.

I'm not sure why you need any relationship with the teachers at all. Won't you just be working with Guidance and the students? I would suggest sending home an explanatory letter with the students, or even better, get it up on the school website. You could explain the test and the advantage for the kids in getting a potential career idea. If the students buy into it, they will take the test more seriously.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:45 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Yes, you are right... I will be workign more closely with parents, counselors and students, but it can not hurt to also have relationships with the teachers. It was actually a teacher who encouraged me to go after the military... so maybe I am thinking of my own personal experiences....

Since I am new to this... it's good to hear from a teacher that I am, perhaps, not expected to maintain relationships with teachers.... so maybe I am barking up the wrong tree....

I kind of think it is good that it is optional. I don't want to get a list of 100 test scores of people who would never consider the military... it's a waste of everyone's time!

My high school didn't offer it at all... and if not for that teacher and my mother pushing me, I'd have never ever even thought about the military... and I think it was the best decision of my life. I don't even think a recruiter visited my high school once in 4 years. I almost missed out on it!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:17 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Most teachers at my school are disconnected from the ASVAB.
Students have to opt in and know about the test. Mostly the NJROTC kids are the ones that take it along with a few others.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:48 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
The ASVAB as I remember it didn't take into account IQ level and other course prep could offer a higher paying long term career with great job opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching