Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 04:48 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times

Advertisements

Harris Poll asked 2,620 adults across the country the question,
"If you could live in any state in the country, except the state you live in now, what state would you choose to live in?"
Tennessee came in at #11.

Read more: California, Hawaii and Florida the States Where the Most People Would Like to Live - PR Newswire - sacbee.com (http://www.sacbee.com/2010/10/19/3114666/california-hawaii-and-florida.html#ixzz135E1xAjs - broken link)

In the same poll, Nashville was the 7th most popular city in the country while Memphis was the 15th least popular city in the country.

Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > New York City, San Diego and Las Vegas Top List of Cities People Would Like to Live In or Near

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 05:24 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
As long as TN doesn't become one of the top three, you guys should be safe.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:59 AM

61 posts, read 206,894 times
Interesting that 7 of the most popular cities are also on the least popular list.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:42 AM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,866 times
I am amazed at the poll that was referenced in the article. I live in California and I can't wait to leave this state! California has an overall cost of living that is higher than most other states, the population is exploding, illegal immigrants are pouring across the border, taxes are already high and are on the rise, the highways are jammed and full of potholes, everyone is in a hurry and rude and agressive on the highways, the politicians are crazy, the state is broke, property values have dropped more than 50% in the last few years, and I could go on and on. I've had enough of California! I'm anxiously awaiting retirement in TENNESSEE!!!

Old 10-23-2010, 04:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Anytime an area becomes popular it runs the risk of attracting malcontents that think that moving will solve their problems. You then have a bunch of ticked-off people running around because they soon realize that wherever they go, there they are.

Tennessee tends to attract people that look for the quality in life: friendly people, balanced weather, beautiful scenery, coupled with practicality: lower tax burden, cost of living.

Folks moving to places like Florida, California and Hawaii often are chasing a dream that doesn't exist.

Old 10-24-2010, 06:25 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Yow. I've been here five years and I am far from a loser. I've also met some absolutely wonderful and happy transplants. I would never consider north Georgia or Alabama as a possible place to live for numerous reasons. I have a friend in north Georgia and she hates it. As soon as she can sell her house she is moving to East Tennessee.

As I said, Tennessee attracts folks looking for a certain quality of life and superficiality is not one of those qualities. Malcontents that think a move to a different state will "fix" them and their problems tend to be attracted to Florida and California.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:39 AM

14 posts, read 10,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yow. I've been here five years and I am far from a loser. I've also met some absolutely wonderful and happy transplants. I would never consider north Georgia or Alabama as a possible place to live for numerous reasons. I have a friend in north Georgia and she hates it. As soon as she can sell her house she is moving to East Tennessee.

As I said, Tennessee attracts folks looking for a certain quality of life and superficiality is not one of those qualities. Malcontents that think a move to a different state will "fix" them and their problems tend to be attracted to Florida and California.
You must be forgetting the many,many, posts from people who want to move to TN, have a house and 5 acres, have a few horses, state they are broke, ask tons of questions about the scenery and at the very end ask about finding a job.

Sounds superficial to me.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:28 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearliegirlie View Post
that's true that esp E TN has attracted a huge number of ticked off people and malcontents from all over ! I'd consider north AL,, maybe north GA before E TN at this point because it seems overrun by now just another set of losers too, losers do move around as well as winners, but if you really examine the newcomers over the last 8-10 years they mostly fit in this category : malcontents losers and ticked off people, and these folks look like they are getting the upper hand **TN was also named the 11th poorest state too I think
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearliegirlie View Post
E TN is definitely not automatically immune tot he losers ! just look around, and certainly FL and CA, MS, GA , and Arkansas have their share too, but I don't see TN or E TN being some sort of nirvana or illuminated environment either (esp some of rural areas), and there are many other coastal cities all over FL, even SC that I,, for one,, would choose over practically anywhere in E TN, but that's just me, and comparing smaller cities in N CA or smaller cities in FL is like apples and oranges anyway I guess ! speaking of oranges, I'll take the CA oranges and wine !
How did you come to the conclusions that everyone here or coming here is a malcontent and looser from clear across the state? How are the little towns over on that side? Rural is rural all over this country, even on the other coast. Some towns are just a bit more put together than others. Nirvana? No. Some good and some not so good towns to live in? Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvrdq View Post
You must be forgetting the many,many, posts from people who want to move to TN, have a house and 5 acres, have a few horses, state they are broke, ask tons of questions about the scenery and at the very end ask about finding a job.

Sounds superficial to me.
Ahhhh... lots of superficial people may post, some may even come here to look but a very few of them settle in and begin complaining. They are usually the ones envisioning a movie set southern town; quaintness with all the modern amenities like fancy coffee shops and galleries, and fine dining out in the farm land. Most who make it were more serious about their looking, realize that job had better be the real deal and are more down to earth to begin with. Generally they are much more ready to be part of their community in a positive way. The whiners and complainers either learn or leave the area after a while for wherever the next great place is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee