Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 02:53 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,856 times

Advertisements

There's posts on City-Data.com a few years old, including my own, inquiring about different cities, areas of Tennessee. With plans on moving there.

Just out of curiousity, how many of those inquiring minds actually moved to TN, and where did you settle?

And to let you know, unfortunately, No - dh and I haven't moved to TN --- YET. The economy, and a new grandson are keeping us in Southwestern PA. Every winter, especially last winter, dh complains about the cold, the snow, shovelling and snowblowing the snow. My 80 mile commute seems to double in the wintertime. We'll see what comes in the years ahead.

blessings, Shen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 06:47 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,537 times
We haven't made it yet. But should be moving in 2-3 weeks. We are moving to the Southeast TN area. I had started my research about 3 years ago. After a lot of research we found just the property we were looking for. It's in a beautiful area, looks like it's in the woods but really about 15-20 mins to town. And there are several stores right there, Walmart, Kmart, several restruants and less than an hour from Chattanooga and Knoxville. Not too much snow but if I want to see more I can head over to Gatlinburg about an 1 1/2 hr drive. I have posted some pictures on the picture thread under Tennessee forum. If anyone would like to see them.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:02 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,856 times
I know Laura in Oak Ridge TN is one transplant who posted inquiries on here for awhile, prior to actually moving to TN, and is an active poster.
Anyone else?

blessings, Shen

Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 AM

11 posts, read 25,226 times
My bh and I are leaving tomorrow headed to Sneedville TN to get the ball rolling (septic tank, well, etc)=we will be retiring in 12 months and 12 days. We are so excited to finally see our TN dream come true

Old 10-14-2010, 12:30 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyweeza View Post
My bh and I are leaving tomorrow headed to Sneedville TN to get the ball rolling (septic tank, well, etc)=we will be retiring in 12 months and 12 days. We are so excited to finally see our TN dream come true
Congrats! Drive safely!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:29 AM

50 posts, read 123,050 times
We are planning to list our house in MI by the end of October and will be heading down to TN to find a place to rent until we find our dream property :-D

Old 10-14-2010, 04:50 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyweeza View Post

Good for you, have a safe trip. Hope you ahe better luck on your septic and well than we did. It just cost us 8,500.00 for the well and 4,000.00 for the septic. But the good thing now is it is DONE.
Good luck. I know you are excited.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:25 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
I know Laura in Oak Ridge TN is one transplant who posted inquiries on here for awhile, prior to actually moving to TN, and is an active poster.
Anyone else?

blessings, Shen
I moved to OR because of the retiree program, ORICL (classes and trips), which you can read about here:

http://www.discoveret.org/oricl/Catalog.pdf

Since here, besides taking classes and going on ORICL trips, I also joined the town camera club, belong to a book discussion group and am a member of the Museum of Appalachia in Norris. Because Oak Ridge has an older population, I think there are more things for retirees to do here than another town with a population of the same size. I live really close to everything I do regularly. In fact, my classes and the camera club meet right around the corner, my doctor is four minutes away, the supermarket is less than 5 minutes away and the book group meets up the street. If I actually liked walking, running, biking, skating, boating, the lake at the end of my road, is a great place to do it but I just go to see the birds. There are also plenty of organizations in Oak Ridge. But:

If shopping is one of your favorite things to do, and you want to fall out of bed to do it in retirement, Oak Ridge is not for you. Most go to the Turkey Creek mall in West Knoxville for major shopping. It's not that far but it's not in town, either. I don't like shopping at all so this doesn't bother me but I know that a lot of people do like to shop often. Also, I don't own a home here. If I decided to pick up and leave in a few weeks, I could do it easily so I don't have to assess OR as a house owner.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:17 PM

117 posts, read 447,635 times
Bought our property 2 years ago, put in the well this fall, septic tnk in the spring, house this summer.

Gonna hang on to the house in Fl for a while til hopefully prices go back up a little.

I just retired, wife will this spring.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:44 PM

394 posts, read 794,683 times
We discovered Knoxville 6 years ago and started seriously considering 4 years ago. Bought a house in west Knoxville last year. Started moving down from Md in May (wife and 2/3 of our household belongings). I retired 8/1 and got our Md house on the market 9/18. We're up in Md right now to do the sale closing tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee