Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 PM

123 posts, read 200,984 times

Advertisements

List of U.S. states by income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TN is No. 45
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:25 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,339,591 times
What does it look like COL-adjusted?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:43 PM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Not exactly an answer to that question, but...
TN 2nd lowest COL state? Cost of Living 1st Quarter 2013
Those missouri research folks always have such interesting info

Old 08-16-2013, 11:53 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

That is the first thing I thought of too. TN unemployment is definitely not one of the highest, home ownership is common here so I think this list is skewed. The fact that places like ohio and Michigan rate better than we do speaks volumes doesn't it. Mi for example has legendary economic trouble, its largest city is a true ruin and poverty and unemployment are a regular part of life there but some how they rate better than we do?? What kind of rating system is this that we are bested on that list by a place like that? Also many of the states at the top of the list are uber expensive places where starter houses are 600k, and taxes are in the stratosphere. That big salary means nothing if you spend it all on taxes and housing. Statistics are so easy to manipulate, so easy to imply something that is just not true. All southern states have been beat up by these kind of statistics. Tennessee is no exception to this.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:00 AM

I'm not suggesting that Tennessee is well-off or anything...but but a straight up list based on income is flawed when not considering other factors.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:58 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Some states will probably shift a bit, but the general trend is likely to hold up. I can see NC moving down some due to their high taxes and TN gaining a few spots due to low taxes, but Southern states are generally the poorest in the country, both in absolute terms and when adjusted for COL.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:01 AM

375 posts, read 1,097,634 times
The thing is..... Tennessee really has two economies, rural and urban. I'm not that familiar with the rural areas in west Tennessee but in middle and east that's where most of the poverty is. Here's some ARC data (Appalachian Regional Commission) Personal Income Rates, 2010: Appalachian Tennessee

The county I live in has a per capita market income (income sans transfer payments) of about 16K which is typical of rural counties in east Tennessee and is 50% of the US average. Knox and Hamilton counties both have per capita market incomes of about 30K or 93% of the US average. So for urban areas the lower cost of living likely covers most of the difference. Rural areas.... not so much. There's no shortage of poverty in Tennessee but people living in urban/suburban areas don't see most of the iceberg.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Some states will probably shift a bit, but the general trend is likely to hold up. I can see NC moving down some due to their high taxes and TN gaining a few spots due to low taxes, but Southern states are generally the poorest in the country, both in absolute terms and when adjusted for COL.
I don't doubt that. But to flatly look at income when judging how poor a state is is a flawed measure IMO.

If you're flatly looking at comparing New York's $55,246 and Tennessee's $41,693, as to who is more well-off...my question would be where in those two states does one live?

Old 08-17-2013, 10:25 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that. But to flatly look at income when judging how poor a state is is a flawed measure IMO.

If you're flatly looking at comparing New York's $55,246 and Tennessee's $41,693, as to who is more well-off...my question would be where in those two states does one live?
And then...what do they pay to heat their home, how much for rent or mortgage, taxes, hidden taxes such as excise tax, food, clothing, electricity, gas, home and auto insurance?

I wonder the motives of someone that lives in Memphis and posts a link from Wikipedia that simply states "US states by income" yet headlines the thread, "TN- one of the poorest states."

But hey, if it will keep the jerks away, more power to them.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,054,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And then...what do they pay to heat their home, how much for rent or mortgage, taxes, hidden taxes such as excise tax, food, clothing, electricity, gas, home and auto insurance?

I wonder the motives of someone that lives in Memphis and posts a link from Wikipedia that simply states "US states by income" yet headlines the thread, "TN- one of the poorest states."

But hey, if it will keep the jerks away, more power to them.
Agreed! Keep the hipsters the eff out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee