Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 03:56 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post
Yeah, it would be great if you would actually read my post. Instead, you are so hellbent on defending your 'libertarian researchers' that you completely ignored the main point of my post: everyone has their own idea of freedom. (Remarkably, in your diatribe, you reiterated that exact point!) Since everyone has their own idea of freedom, ranking states on a set of criteria is senseless, especially when each criterion can be weighted. Undoubtedly, I could manipulate the weight of the criteria in a certain way that would make Tennessee one of the 'least free' states. No? Isn't that your point? It was mine, too.

By the way, you know absolutely nothing about the issues that concern me. Nothing. Your rant is misdirected, ignorant, presumptuous, and prejudiced. It serves no purpose.

Try reading next time.
Wow. relax there. He was just making a comment regarding the issues you posted, not saying he "knows you". Everyone has their own opinion of "beauty" too, yet you see lists of "most beautiful states/cities" etc.

I do agree that there is an inherent hopelessness in trying to quantify something as subjective as "freedom". But fields like psychology and sociology do this all the time--taking general phrases/words and determine it's "operational definition". Once the researchers have a working definition, they can test the ways in which different parameters affect it.

I also agree that anyone who preaches freedom on one hand, and then denies the right of a couple in love to get married based on THEIR values is very hypocritical. Same with marijuana. But it's also safe to assume that taxes, banning 16oz sodas, and traffic light cameras affect way more people. In fact, all 3 of those would affect gays and marijuana users as well.

Like has been said, you can tweak these parameters for your own PERSONAL rankings, which are going to be much more accurate (for you) than a gross cross referencing of states based on EVERY issue.

Think of this list like the MPG sticker on a new car: it should be used for comparative purposes, not to determine the results YOU will actually experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 01:50 PM

7 posts, read 10,349 times
Freedom to me is the ability to keep the majority of what I earn. Small government, low taxation, low regulation and necessary services only. The social issues should not even be addressed by government. Gay marriage and marriage in general is none of governments business. That is a religious issue and should be addressed by the church. If you find a church to marry you, then the government should have to recognize it. If you grow a weed in your backyard and want to smoke it, it's your business. If the result of any of your actions hurst someone else, you must be held accountable....regardless of the reason (with exception to self-defense of you or others).
I, generally, have a problem with these "lists" as they are too inflammatory because we all have different hot buttons. I guess to get to the heart of it, the freest states can be considered the ones who hold truest to the constitution. It's all written down...Bill of rights, Federalist papers.... take the time to read it and know where governments place is.
The worst thing we can do is to succomb to the "common good". We are not all common and we are not all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee