Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:45 AM

114 posts, read 357,596 times

Advertisements

Any of you think one day Tennessee will have a state income tax despite the fact that many of the Tennesseans oppose to it? We already have the highest sales tax in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Probably one day. Government, whether state or federal, hasn't slowed its appetite for tax revenues. In Tennessee there will probably be some sort of "crisis" and an income tax will sneak through. I don't think it's happen anytime soon. Even Bredesen is talking about cutting spending rather than raising taxes in the current budget talks.

Just an opinion.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
...Even Bredesen is talking about cutting spending rather than raising taxes in the current budget talks...
Can I even tell you how weird that sounds to me, living in NJ?

Everytime I see something of that nature in my Roane County newspaper it boggles my mind too.

I mean...cut spending so the taxpayers don't have to pay more? How in the world could that possibly WORK?! lol

Old 04-30-2008, 12:15 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
They tried it some years back, threatening that the state parks would have to be sold off to generate revenue.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,237,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbench View Post
We already have the highest sales tax in the states.
Have you been to Chicago lately?

(we don't, however, have such a ridiculous sales tax on groceries as Tenn. does, thankfully.)

bbkaren - you get the RCN? i worked there one summer.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbench View Post
Any of you think one day Tennessee will have a state income tax despite the fact that many of the Tennesseans oppose to it? We already have the highest sales tax in the states.
I had always heard, and I don't know the facts behind it, that the reason for the high sales tax was just because of the lack of an income tax as a way to generate revenue from everybody consuming products in Tennessee rather than just those that live there. But I've always heard that TN would never have an income tax without drastically cutting the sales tax. I do know a lot of people near me in NE Tennessee would cross the border into another state for large purchases, or even grocery shopping depending on how close they were to significantly decrease their tax load.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:19 PM

712 posts, read 1,488,482 times
It will never happen. Last time they even talked about it, bricks were thrown through the capital building in Nashville and people were literally drug out because they wouldnt leave peacefully.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchometeam View Post
It will never happen. Last time they even talked about it, bricks were thrown through the capital building in Nashville and people were literally drug out because they wouldnt leave peacefully.
Oh, never say never. I desperately hope you are right though!!!
Amazing on the bricks!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:29 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Oh, never say never. I desperately hope you are right though!!!
Amazing on the bricks!!!
I don't think any bricks were actually thrown through the windows, although one window was knocked out when they was a large crowd there one night.

It was mostly horn-honking . . . which annoyed some of the state employees by keeping them awake.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:13 PM

114 posts, read 357,596 times
Income tax is unconstitutional in Tennessee. But who knows, they might change the constitution some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee