Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 12:43 PM

42 posts, read 30,863 times

Advertisements

I love Knoxville, the city, being close to the smoky mountains, just the city in general. What is your favorite city in Tennessee?

Old 04-08-2020, 01:00 PM

10,086 posts, read 14,474,214 times
For a bigger city, Nashville for sure.

Medium-sized city, Franklin is so nice.

Smaller town that is quieter, Jonesborough. Smaller town that is cozy and bustling, Gatlinburg.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:45 PM

9,688 posts, read 9,420,685 times
Big city: Nashville

Midsize: Murfreesboro

Small: Cookeville, the city has really improved for the better. The city was devastated by the recent tornado, but the community has come together.

Old 04-08-2020, 02:20 PM

811 posts, read 891,131 times
Memphis...but just to visit. I wouldn’t want to live in Memphis, and not for the obvious reasons of crime, but it’s sort of isolated location.

But Memphis is an awesome city to visit with so much character and a genuineness to it. The people are beyond friendly in all the trips I have made there for business and leisure.

Old 04-08-2020, 07:59 PM

13,357 posts, read 39,994,162 times
Nashville
Chattanooga
Franklin
Cookeville
Sewanee

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-08-2020, 08:08 PM

8,521 posts, read 4,759,184 times
Nashville. I like the up-and-comer vibe, though it’s a bit pricey and the freeways were pretty poorly thought out. Still, looks like a nice place to live. I got to park for the night at the TA truck stop a couple of weeks ago and take a walk across the bridge and up and down Broadway. Eerily deserted for a Friday, thanks to the virus which shall not be named, which gave me this really unique first view of a place which looks really charming and more genuinely urban than I had really imagined.

Chattanooga has a really pretty setting, and bonus points for a fun name.

Memphis, I think, is something of an up-and-comer. I love its history. It has a lot of challenges, but it has used it’s fairly strategic location for logistics as an underpinning for its economy, and I feel like some people are starting to return to its musical and cultural history. Place is on a slow burn back to being in good health, I think.

Old 04-09-2020, 01:50 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,019,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Memphis...but just to visit. I wouldn’t want to live in Memphis, and not for the obvious reasons of crime, but it’s sort of isolated location.

But Memphis is an awesome city to visit with so much character and a genuineness to it. The people are beyond friendly in all the trips I have made there for business and leisure.
I never thought of Memphis as isolated before. Looking at a map though, it kinda is. Nashville a little over 3 hours away, even St. Louis, is about that far. Little Rock is a little over 2 and Jackson, MS is nearly 4, I think. So yea, I guess it is isolated.

Old 04-09-2020, 03:31 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,494,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
I never thought of Memphis as isolated before. Looking at a map though, it kinda is. Nashville a little over 3 hours away, even St. Louis, is about that far. Little Rock is a little over 2 and Jackson, MS is nearly 4, I think. So yea, I guess it is isolated.
When I was working down there, we had a new boss come in from Detroit and he said Memphis was like a million people in the middle of nowhere.

But to be fair, most cities in the interior of the US are.

As for the question, I'd probably rate Memphis higher than Nashville at this point. There's just as much to do and it's a lot more affordable. But I don't think I'll be able to move back anytime soon.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:34 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,521,481 times
I lived in Nashville my first 18 years and moved to Memphis for college and stayed 18 years. Then I moved to rural Williamson County for 5 years and found heaven again.

Memphis is seeing a resurgence in the north end of Downtown fueled by a $2 billion St. Jude expansion and another huge construction centered around the convention center, etc. There's also a huge amount of construction going on in various parts of the city including Midtown and around the University of Memphis.

But there's not much you can do about crime. Every business in Shelby County must have security guards every hour they're open. That includes churches and office buildings.

Everywhere you look, you see flashing blue lights as a mental suggestion to criminals that they are being watched. There are closed circuit television cameras up on utility poles (with flashing blue lights) watching virtually every residential street in the city.

The politicians have not taken care of the city. They refused to fund the city schools and passed schools off to the county. Individual towns formed their own schools which are good, but now county schools have deteriorated to unacceptable levels. The streets are incredibly rough and approaching potholes of NYC--with no plans to support their infrastructure.

It is simply not a cohesive community, and I'd hate to think where the city would be if Pitt Hyde, Fred Smith, Mike Rose and a few business giants had not formed successful companies in the 80's and 90's.

But right now, there's no better place to have warehouses. It's got 3 interstate highways, great air freight and incredible rail facilities. And it's pretty much in the middle of the U.S.--like Nashville & St. Louis are.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:28 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,093,353 times
I use to say Chattanooga, but Knoxville because of the Smoky Mountains and neighborhoods near the University.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee