Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 02:24 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,635 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My fiance and I are looking to move. We have narrowed our search to NC and TN. We know alot more about NC and nothing about TN though.

He is an bodyshop Master Technician, over qualified and paid to prove it. He needs the same where we move.. so being NEAR a big city is ideal.
I am a legal secretary, but open to being a stay at home mom depending how income is up north. We're currently in south Florida.

Where in TN can we find a decent sized city within 30 min drive, be within 1 hr of mountains and own acreage?? We own a horse, two dogs, a 4 wheeler, and a car trailer.
Schools are important as well, as we have a four year old.

Our budget would be around >$280 and i know these are broad questions as TN is big. We want a quiet rural life-style within driving distance to ameneties.

Once we've narrowed areas, i will post more questions in the appropriate sub-forums.

Sorry for the lack of information. Any questions to help direct us are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 PM

Nothing? No opinions? Ok.. I dont know where to start

Old 04-14-2010, 08:38 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Nothing? No opinions? Ok.. I dont know where to start
If you don't know where to start, then how can we help you? You'd be better off taking a map and throwing a dart at it. Realistically, your fiance should move to where he can find employment. The economy is bad here as everywhere and I wouldn't move without a job lined up first.
All the best to you,
Pam

Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I'd recommend looking in Knoxville. We moved from swFlorida five years ago. My husband is a master auto technician and is about to open his own business. Not a body shop, though.

You'll be one hour from the mountains. The schools are good here, and it will be a major breath of fresh air as opposed to what you are used to. We moved out of Florida and came here just for the schools.

My husband had a job as soon as we got here. With a couple of hours. But that was in 2005, back when life was good. So yes, start looking for a job first. I have no idea what kind of pay you are used to but we found that auto techs make about the same as they did in swFlorida. That's not a great thing, and that's why we are starting our own business. Of course, cost of living is low. Utilities, groceries, insurance, taxes, even gas.

Start looking for a job and concentrate in Knoxville. It's doable and I'll tell you what, moving here was the best thing that has ever happened to this family. Hands down.

Oh, the budget for a house is fine, as long as you are not looking for a lot of acreage, but it does depend on location. Some places around here are cheaper than others. It's doable.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:10 AM

Thank you Hiknapster! I will now move on to that sub-forum and do some searching. I appreciate the direction. And no, we arent looking for 10 acres or anything, but 3+ would be nice We fell in love with the mountains and bubbling streams and fresh air when we visited Eastern TN, Western NC. I just dont want to live IN the mountains, close is good though. I am glad to hear the schools are good. If we had stayed here, I would have had to put my daughter in Private school. As far as job searching, we arent moving anywhere until he has secured work. I will attempt to do the same, but we can make it work on 1 income for a little while. I actually have family in Knoxville, I just didnt want to narrow my search simply because I had counsins in one area, and I dont know enough about TN to really narrow it by myself. Again, Thanks for your help!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
It sounds like your best bet would be around Knoxville or Maryville.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:36 PM

Oh! I also want to clarify something. Our unemployment rate is second best in the state and the best out of all of the largest MSAs. It is not as good as say, North Dakota, but it is much, much, much lower than Florida and actually lower than the national average.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 PM

Good to know, as North Carolina is up at 11% in some areas... and that is a big fear factor. Not that we'd be moving anywhere without secured work. I think we may just have to rearrange our trip to NC in June to include Knoxville and surrounding areas. Maryville sounds great, ive been reading up on it. My concern there is leaving city limits for cheaper housing and more acreage, but getting worse schools..

Old 04-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Good to know, as North Carolina is up at 11% in some areas... and that is a big fear factor. Not that we'd be moving anywhere without secured work. I think we may just have to rearrange our trip to NC in June to include Knoxville and surrounding areas. Maryville sounds great, ive been reading up on it. My concern there is leaving city limits for cheaper housing and more acreage, but getting worse schools..
That's what they say on this forum. I've never actually checked out the stats for Maryville. I ended up buying in Knox - Knoxville city limits, actually - because I liked the school system.

I'm willing to bet that when we moved here the unemployment rate was 3 or 4 percent, and now is 8-something. So no, I would make sure you had a job first. But at least we are now getting to the point where you can pick up a "hold-over" job in an emergency. There are some parts of the country where that is no longer possible. There are really, really no jobs.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:04 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,678,809 times
Quote:

If you want acreage get acreage, you will regret it in the long run if you do not. The only thing about Maryville I do not like is the main drag by the airport. Too much traffic and people drive like crazy. Going towards the mountains though is beautiful.
As for the schools if you are really not happy with the one you are at you can drive the kids to the school you want, if you put up a fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee