Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:46 AM

7 posts, read 24,040 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I visited Crossville last month after researching as much as we could. We fell in love with it, and planned on moving. Well, now it looks like we'll be moving a lot sooner than we thought! Just after Christmas, to be exact. We live in Idaho right now. Jobs are a concern. The Crossville Chronicle doesn't list much for jobs, or places to stay. We need at least a 2 bedroom (we have a 13 month old and one on the way!) that accepts pets (we have an almost 10 year old big dog that is as kind and gentle and quiet as can be). We would love a house to rent, but apartments would be fine as well. We're looking at $650/mo or less. From what I've seen in the Chronicle, this isn't hard to find, but I've had no luck with anyone accepting a big dog.

Job-wise: My husband can do anything. He has done framing for a couple of years, but the last couple of years he has been driving box trucks and school buses for a living. I stay at home. We have an awesome idea of a business to start down there that started up here a few years ago and kind of took off. (I won't tell if anyone asks!). But we probably won't be able to start it for awhile since the business loan requirements are 20% down. We'll be working hard to save that up. In the meantime, a job doing anything that will support us will be great!

If anyone has any info on housing or jobs, that would be so great! Also, we were told the passes (esp. over the Rockies) from Idaho to Tennessee will be too bad to travel in the winter with a U-Haul, so I don't know...does anyone know about that? They'd still be driveable, right?

Thanks everyone for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 12:47 PM

40 posts, read 92,932 times
Hi! We're trying to move to Crossville too! Have you tried contacting the realtors in the area along with checking the Chronicle ads? It sure seems like there would be plenty of houses to rent with yards for a big dog. Maybe you could also place an ad in the Chronicle detailing what you're looking for. We're probably going to be moving in winter weather as well. We would keep a very close eye on weather conditions along the route and hustle on down while things looked good. It might be hard to make that work in a narrow time frame though. Mountain passes should have information available via the Internet or through calling the local authorities I imagine. If it feels dicey to you, perhaps you could rent a truck with which to pull the trailer that you need. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2008, 12:54 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
It's a top secret place!!! No one is too know........

Old 09-20-2008, 01:42 PM

Hi Kachina1,

Thanks for the help about the passes. Your idea about placing an ad in the Chronicle was great, we are probably going to use it! We have a realtor down there, who showed us around and showed us several houses when we were there last month. I emailed him all of our questions, but haven't heard back yet. We're waiting anxiously for Monday when it's another business day and maybe we might hear from him! Where are you moving from?

Old 09-20-2008, 02:02 PM

40 posts, read 92,932 times
Tinman-as heating oil prices keep rising, that secret's gonna get harder and harder to keep! We sure hope that you don't mind a bit of company as we did our research too and the Crossville area just seems perfect for us in a lot of ways.

Jarkin-you might also call another realtor with a different company for additional help. We are hoping to move out of the long Maine winters. It's already getting a little nippy here!

Old 09-20-2008, 03:10 PM

As soon as I can sell here in FL. I'm heading that way..... Hope to be their Spring 09

Old 09-20-2008, 03:28 PM

67 posts, read 383,398 times
for moving, you might look into abf instead of uhaul. we did that when we moved from wisconsin. basically, they bring the truck to you, you load it. then they drive it and you unload it. pricewise, after factoring in the cost of gas and insurance, it was less than $100 difference compared to uhaul. and we did not have to have the worry and hassle of driving a big, uncomfortable truck.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:19 PM

Default Big Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fntintn View Post
for moving, you might look into abf instead of uhaul. we did that when we moved from wisconsin. basically, they bring the truck to you, you load it. then they drive it and you unload it. pricewise, after factoring in the cost of gas and insurance, it was less than $100 difference compared to uhaul. and we did not have to have the worry and hassle of driving a big, uncomfortable truck.
Thanks..... I drive professionally, but I'm getting rid of just about every thing I own except my cat..... "less is more" starting anew in Crossville. Just cannot wait to get out of here.............
I figure a little truck maybe a 1 roomer kind......

Old 09-20-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fntintn View Post
Thank you so much for some more helpful info! That link you sent is great by the way!

Old 09-20-2008, 08:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
The moving Bible

Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville