Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 765 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am desperately needing some advice. I do intend to hire a lawyer but we have zero cash at the moment and need to start figuring out things now.
Our story:
My father owns 2 homes. He lives in 1 with my special needs brother and I live in the other with my wife and 2 kids.
Both homes are in my fathers name and are owned free and clear and we don not pay any rent to him.

My father does not have any income other than 600$ a month my brother receives for disability. My brother has autism and has been disabled his whole life.

My father is 60 and had a major heart attack 2 days ago. He is currently in ICU and does not have any insurance or cash. He and my brother live off of my brothers disability check and I help them whenever they need something.

I need to get my father approved for Medicaid or tenncare to help with care or a pacemaker while protecting both houses and my brothers disability benefits.

I am thinking we can quitclaim both houses to my brother and make me the executor. Since he is a special needs child I read this will not disqualify my dad from Medicare. This is what I read on the internet but I also read that owning a 2nd home may disqualify my brother from his disability benefits.

Again, I do not have any knowledge of how this works and just got this info from searching the internet. Can anyone please help or give me some insight or direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 10:40 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,258,994 times
Why are you not paying rent if he's broke?

I would speak to someone in the ICU maybe they will refer you to the social worker.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:37 AM

712 posts, read 1,489,472 times
Hate to be harsh, but it sounds like he needs to sell the house you are living in to pay his medical bills and care for himself and your brother. Or you need to pay market value rent if that is enough to make his ends meet without selling the home. If your dad has something of value (two paid for homes), those should be used to pay for his financial obligations before turning to my tax dollars to pay for it.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:14 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,921,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedNTN View Post
Hello, I am desperately needing some advice. I do intend to hire a lawyer but we have zero cash at the moment and need to start figuring out things now.
Our story:
My father owns 2 homes. He lives in 1 with my special needs brother and I live in the other with my wife and 2 kids.
Both homes are in my fathers name and are owned free and clear and we don not pay any rent to him.

My father does not have any income other than 600$ a month my brother receives for disability. My brother has autism and has been disabled his whole life.

My father is 60 and had a major heart attack 2 days ago. He is currently in ICU and does not have any insurance or cash. He and my brother live off of my brothers disability check and I help them whenever they need something.

I need to get my father approved for Medicaid or tenncare to help with care or a pacemaker while protecting both houses and my brothers disability benefits.

I am thinking we can quitclaim both houses to my brother and make me the executor. Since he is a special needs child I read this will not disqualify my dad from Medicare. This is what I read on the internet but I also read that owning a 2nd home may disqualify my brother from his disability benefits.

Again, I do not have any knowledge of how this works and just got this info from searching the internet. Can anyone please help or give me some insight or direction?
It can be done but I dont think it is as simple as quitclaim. We did something similar after my dad died after cancer and a couple weeks in ICU. We had moms house put in our names (4 siblings) although she was still the owner so if she did have some major medical she would not lose her house. Check with the courthouse.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:28 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,916,327 times
Medicaid has "lookback" rules, so trying to make changes in ownership of a second home now may be too late. You do need the advice of an attorney.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:09 PM

20,350 posts, read 19,953,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Medicaid has "lookback" rules, so trying to make changes in ownership of a second home now may be too late. You do need the advice of an attorney.
This. You be best served if you find an attorney that specializes in elder care / Medicare / SS issues as they can get complicated.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:41 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
This is why estate planning is so important.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:43 AM

127 posts, read 143,644 times
This ship has taken on too much water to be bailed out now. 5 year Medicaid look-back will cause the quit claim rouse to not benefit your father's financial situation. Florida, which I am very familiar with, I am sure is much different than Tennessee, which admittedly I am not familiar with other than the Federal guidelines which are standard across the states. In Florida the primary residence can be declared homestead and not included in the Medicaid asset calculations.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:06 AM

271 posts, read 248,578 times
The home that your father lives in will not be counted as a resource. But the other property would be considered an asset/resource and he may not be eligible for Medicaid. He may be able to get on disability but he would have to be on that for 2 years before he gets any medical.

You do need to seek advice from an attorney. You can contact your county's Office for the Aging regarding your father's medical needs and your local Department of Social Services does or should have an attorney on staff. He or she can possibly give some advice/assistance which would be free. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee