Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 07:15 AM

6 posts, read 24,441 times

Advertisements

hello. Im A Single Parent With 3 Kids I Live In Mississippi Rite Now. Im Thinkin About Movin 2 Jackson Tennessee. Is It A Safe Place 2 Live. Im Want 2 Go Back 2 College So I Can Get A Degree. But I Have No Relatives There Will The Department Of Human Service Help With Child Care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 09:06 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,345 times
Personally, i would feel a little uneasy if i were a single mother with 3 children living alone in Jackson. It has a pretty high crime rate, if i remember correctly. Have you thought of moving a little farther to the north, up around the Martin, TN area? There you can attend the University of Tennessee at Martin. It's a much smaller and safer town. My daughter attended there, and i didn't worry about her being on her own there. I don't know about the child care that will be available, though, sorry.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:10 PM

129 posts, read 456,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlemommy View Post
hello. Im A Single Parent With 3 Kids I Live In Mississippi Rite Now. Im Thinkin About Movin 2 Jackson Tennessee. Is It A Safe Place 2 Live. Im Want 2 Go Back 2 College So I Can Get A Degree. But I Have No Relatives There Will The Department Of Human Service Help With Child Care?
I believe with the infatuation of Text Messaging, you'll see more and more of these type of posts and writing.

Now, to answer the O.P.'s question, I'd be looking for help with kids FIRST (it is hard to go to school without it)...family??? (if they're reliable & safe first), then possibly some sort of daycare...

The tough part of your situation is A) you are single and made them, now you MUST take care of them...VERY proud of you for letting them live!!!...B) the other party in the making of the kids doesn't seem to be around...or is he?...

I want you to get ahead, because as a Middle Class Taxpayer, I am supporting folks like you to do nothing...that doesn't help either of us!

How about seeing about renting some sort of a part of a home where a nice, retired (not too old) lady lives and would be willing to mentor you?...and watch the kids for you to go to school only...no going out and leaving them with sitters...ok?

Hang in there...with a little training and polishing, you CAN and WILL get ahead....college degrees are only paper, they will get you in some doors that you might otherwise not...but only YOU can sell YOU!!!....Read good books about people who have made it...and positive thinkers like Zig Ziglar...they will freshen your outlook on life and help you get ahead!!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:51 PM

96 posts, read 356,622 times
I agree with post above....I am also single mother and have a great job but was notified that we have lost our contract and will be out of work come the end of March. I am going back to school for nursing.
If you want it bad enough you will achieve it, things will seem almost impossible to do but keep going and looking up. As for living with someone, that is easier said then done. If you can't find anyone look toward the public housing, some areas are really nice, some towns not so nice. If your going to school it would be very low for you. It's just a thought until you get going. I have a special needs child, a mother who is starting to forget who I am, and a special loving sister who is very ill, and a dream of reaching my goal. Don't let anyone keep you from achieving your dream, you can do it.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:52 PM

3 posts, read 15,557 times
I agree with JoAnn5 - Martin is THE place to be if you want to go to a public school in West Tennessee without being shot at, mugged, or otherwise disturbed (sorry, but Memphis isn't safe).

Martin is the safest school in the state, and the 2nd safest in the South, according to UTM Admissions staff. It has an amazing nursing program, and the friendliest people you'll meet anywhere. The beautiful campus doesn't hurt either.

BUT there is not a whole lot to do in Martin if you're not in class. Most activities are sponsored by UTM...it's the kind of place where you have to look for something to do if you're not on campus. There's not much in the way of shopping, either.

Don't let that stop you, though. Martin is an amazing place, and well worth the trouble of being in the middle of nowhere. Besides, there's nothing special about Jackson.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 43,491 times
Jackson State Community College is pretty affordable, but it's not as easy as the name community college would make you think. In fact, I've found it a lot more educationally demanding than a lot of the private schools in the area. But, it's an okay school if you're interested in getting a degree without paying an unreal amount of money. They also have a few diversity scholarships for single parents and other financial aid.

However, the problem is that the city of Jackson as a whole is pretty high in crime and relatively run-down. There're some places you can find reasonable affordable housing, but nowhere in Jackson is really a safe neighbourhood, and the public schools (where I'm presuming you'd be sending your children) are absolutely horrid. As far as human services helping with childcare, I wouldn't put much faith in that happening. Food stamps and WIC are available, but if by childcare you meant daycare type stuff, I wouldn't count on it. Also, I know most all teachers at higher education schools don't allow children in the classroom. However, Jackson State (and most likely others) does offer online classes, although online classes can be a lot tougher than regular classes and require a lot of time and skill for writing, so if you're not very good at writing in proper English, you might have some trouble.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:03 AM

289 posts, read 569,640 times
It's like Eliott said above. JSCC is a good community college. Union is pretty good too as far as christian colleges go. However the housing & the neighborhoods in Jackson aren't that great. And the rent at the good apartment buildings or houses are likely going to be way too high to rent. As far as help with housing, I don't think there is anything other than government approved section 8, but from everything I hear it takes forever and a day to get approval for section 8, and then again the houses aren't that great. As far as help with child care, there are some after school programs for the kids but again cost may not make it worth it & I don't know of anything that you could get to help with that cost.

Not to mention that crime in Jackson is not the best. If I recall correctly it was rated 10th in the nation for homicide & 13th for overall violent crime. And yes that's the nation not the state. Granted I am a single 25 year old female who wouldn't think twice about living in Jackson. Then again I grew up about 25 miles east of Jackson & about 15 miles from Lexington in the middle of nowhere. We've had people come from New York City & lived here about 2 years & they couldn't believe the drug use & the crimes & how out in the open it all is.

But with you have 3 young kids I would look sokmewhere else other than Jackson. I would take JoAnn5's advice & check out Martin maybe even Murfreesboro. I can't give you any advice on those 2 towns though. But good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,135 times
Joann5 is correct about UTM. It is an excellent school. A word of advice about rent and daycare in and around UTM. Rent in Martin is quite expensive. While there is some family housing "on campus", I have no idea how long it takes to apply and receive family housing. If you can qualify for section 8 or need low-rent housing and have reliable transportation, I would suggest you look for housing in either Dresden or Sharon. These are two low-crime small towns within 8 miles of UTM. They also have very good elementary and middle schools, with school sponsered "after-school programs. UTM also has a day care center on campus, but I do not know the particulars on qualifying for acceptance. Good luck with furthering your education and your future.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:32 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Gosh, I'm hoping that the OP has made a decision in the 2+ years since she posted her question.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 9,437 times
Just in case someone else has a similar question and wants to see what the options are...

One does not have to live in a particular city to get a good college education in Tennessee. The Tennessee Board of Regents have created a program where one can get an associates, bachelors, or masters degree from any of their institutions (Austin Peay, Tennessee State Univeristy, MTSU, and most if not all community colleges such as Motlow State) online. Any single parent who has a computer would be able to log on and take their courses.

I have personally taken several courses and can say that mentoring is such a huge part of this program that one feels like there is a cheerleader in your corner who will make sure you get your degree.

A single mother with 3 kids (which describes me as well) can work part time or stay home while going to college. My youngest (10 years old) loves reading the material and trying to complete some of the assignments I have had to complete.

Using RODP (the term they use for the program) is a blessing because one can live where one wants and be a parent AND improve one's situation without taking away from one's children.

I hope the original post is doing well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee