Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:43 AM

27 posts, read 73,653 times

Advertisements

Hello again soon-to-be fellow Tennesseans!!! We starting looking into Oliver Springs, TN. It fits a lot of our wants, but we can only get so much information from the internet. We are hoping everyone can give us more info. We want as much info as you are all willing to share School Districts - we see Oliver Springs is in 3 different counties and we could choose were we lived based on the best school for our kids. Next year our kids will be in 6th, 2nd and Preschool for one more year then K. We would like them all 3 to go to the same school until at least 8th grade. Is there a preschool program in any of the school districts? or even private preschools? Any advice, info on the schools will be great! My husband is planning on applying at the Lowe's and Home Depot in neighboring towns for now, but is an umpire of baseball, softball games - any work in that field? How long are baseball, softball seasons in TN...Here in IL they are about April thru Sept. How far is a lake from Oliver Springs? We would like to be able to take weekend camping trips to great areas, without having to drive 3 hours - which is what we do now. What about permits for buildings, signs, sheds that type of stuff? Here we have to have a permit to put a shed on our property and to do any type of construction...even to change to a new toilet or vanity....we don't want to have to get a permit for everything we want to do. We are currently members of our local YMCA. We see there isn't one close enough to go to everyday, is there something similar to get ourselves workouts and get the kids involved in sports - park district or similar? Crime? Grocery stores? Library? ...so those are my only questions for now. If you are familiar with the area, please share any info or advice with us. It is all very much appreciated!

Thank you!!!!
Megan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 07:31 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,455 times
I never heard of this town and looked it up. It's close to Knoxville so you may get more responses if you post this question in the Knoxville section.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:33 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denaults View Post
Hello again soon-to-be fellow Tennesseans!!! We starting looking into Oliver Springs, TN. It fits a lot of our wants, but we can only get so much information from the internet. We are hoping everyone can give us more info. We want as much info as you are all willing to share School Districts - we see Oliver Springs is in 3 different counties and we could choose were we lived based on the best school for our kids. Next year our kids will be in 6th, 2nd and Preschool for one more year then K. We would like them all 3 to go to the same school until at least 8th grade. Is there a preschool program in any of the school districts? or even private preschools? Any advice, info on the schools will be great! My husband is planning on applying at the Lowe's and Home Depot in neighboring towns for now, but is an umpire of baseball, softball games - any work in that field? How long are baseball, softball seasons in TN...Here in IL they are about April thru Sept. How far is a lake from Oliver Springs? We would like to be able to take weekend camping trips to great areas, without having to drive 3 hours - which is what we do now. What about permits for buildings, signs, sheds that type of stuff? Here we have to have a permit to put a shed on our property and to do any type of construction...even to change to a new toilet or vanity....we don't want to have to get a permit for everything we want to do. We are currently members of our local YMCA. We see there isn't one close enough to go to everyday, is there something similar to get ourselves workouts and get the kids involved in sports - park district or similar? Crime? Grocery stores? Library? ...so those are my only questions for now. If you are familiar with the area, please share any info or advice with us. It is all very much appreciated!

Thank you!!!!
Megan
Why Oliver Springs? Oliver Springs is a very small town (population under 4,000). You aren't going to get things like a YMCA, a lot of store choices, a ballpark that pays, a big library, a lot of school programs in a small town like Oliver Springs. Have you visited? Are you from a very small town now?

If you want to know what's (stores, restaurants) in the town, try the online yellow pages and this page:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Photos of Oliver Springs:

Do a Google image search for "Oliver Springs.":

Google Images

Oliver Springs City Departments and city codes/permits and there is a contact page on the website):

City of Oliver Springs

Info about the schools including pre-schools:

Oliver Springs Schools - Oliver Springs Tennessee School Ratings - Public and Private

The state parks in Tennessee are great. Oliver Springs to Norris Dam State Park is 45 minutes. Oliver Springs to Cove Lake State Park (Caryville) is 44 minutes away.

Melton Hill Reservoir campground (Lenoir City) is 33 minutes away.

You might want to look at Watts Bar Lake camping, too:

Camping, RV Parks, Campgrounds - Watts Bar Lake, Tennessee

In my opinion, and I know you didn't ask, you might want to find the job first and then look for a town that suits you, nearby.

Last edited by Yac; 08-20-2010 at 04:29 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 11:03 AM

363 posts, read 583,372 times
Oliver Springs is right next to Oak Ridge, where you might find all the amenities you're looking for.

Along Tri-County Bvld. in Oliver Springs, you have Food City, Rite Aid, Family Dollar, Hardees, Subway, Ace Hardware, Tri-County Veterinary, plenty of gas stations and a lot more. No huge box stores or large strip malls in Oliver Springsbut you'll find Walmart, K-Mart, Sears, J.C.Penney's in Oak Ridge, along with all the familiar restuarants (Red Lobster, Applebees, Long John Silver, Starbucks, etc. and fast food....Taco Bell, McDonalds, etc, etc, etc. too many to name.)

'Downtown' (cough) Oliver Springs has a Regions Bank, Harvey's Furniture store, an excellant tattoo parlor called Uptown Ink, very clean, very professional. There's a dentist, quite a few churches. We didn't have kids in school so I can't speak on that subject, but Norwood Elementary is on Tri-County Blvd.

Frozen Head State Park is about a 20 minute drive, northwest of Oliver Springs.

If it's small town you're looking for but close enough to all the familiar store names, Oliver Springs would be the place. And there is a Home Depot in Oak Ridge.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Thanks for your responses! Laura C...under 4,000 - Oliver Springs is HUGE compared to our town of 820 then We are looking for between 1 and 4,000...We love the small town feel. We are planning on renting for the first year, so if we have to move to somewhere that fits our needs better once we are there, we will do that.

Liondandy...from what you said, sounds like Oliver Springs might be just the perfect place for us! Everything we go to now is at least a 20 minute drive, so that is not a problem with the bigger places being in Oak Ridge...Perfect! I am getting excited about visiting soon now Thank you all again!!!! I am so glad I found this forum.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:26 PM

Also, we will not move until at least one of us has a job, we are not that brave! We weren't sure where to even start looking though...sounds like we may have found where to start looking!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,994 times
Default Oliver Springs

Oliver Springs is a small town. Two red lights? Not sure on the schools, but the people are friendly and hometown! I havent heard any complaints on the schools. Beautiful mountains and lots of four wheeler trails. The lakes depending on where you go are not that far. You have Norris Lake which is 45 min to an hour from here and its beautiful plenty of different camping locations. Melton Hill Dam isnt to far either its a nice place. Has only one grocery store but Oliver Springs is very close to Oak ridge and only 20 or so min from large shopping in Knoxville area.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
I've been pondering your needs and questions for awhile. I wonder if you should be headed towards the Kodak area. It seems to have exactly what you are looking for.

It has a Lowes and Home Depot in Sevierville, and a couple that are a hop, skip and jump in Knoxville. I know that Sevierville has great schools. Dolly Parton went there and the system is well taken care of.

And here's the kicker. It's home to Smokies Baseball.

Home | Tennessee Smokies Home

Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,679,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liondandy View Post

Frozen Head State Park is about a 20 minute drive, northwest of Oliver Springs.
Don't forget the prison right next to the park.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
Don't forget the prison right next to the park.
It's closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee