Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 10:49 AM

686 posts, read 804,768 times

Advertisements

Im not in the market for a model S although they are pretty awesome. Just rather curious to hear opinions or experiences of 90k+ mile owners. I saw a 2014 Model S with 96k miles for sale for $30k a few days ago and it peeked my interest. Besides the battery, what major repairs would be needed?

Would you be afraid of a high mileage tesla? Why or why not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 11:30 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
I'm curious to know myself as I'm cross-shopping used EVs with more than 80 mile ranges. I've seen a glut of 2013-2015 Model Ss available in my region with mileage from 30K-95K miles priced between $25K-$45K. From what I've read, the earlier Model Ss had more bugs that were updated either by software or mechanical replacements, and that the newer models came with the revised parts. You definitely don't hear about spontaneous driveway fires in the frequency that you did a few years ago. You also don't see battery packs needing replacement after the suggestion to not overuse the Supercharging network, and to not regularly charge the battery beyond 90% capacity. Earlier models had some issues with the drive units and virtually all of them were replaced under warranty or goodwill (haven't heard of anyone getting charged) and a lot of them had issues with the door handle motors.

I'd love to see a chart of mileage and when users experienced a repair or maintenance issue. I'm curious about the longevity of the air suspension (and standard suspension) as though systems are lovely when they work and are generally pricey to repair. There are some makes and models where mileage is just a number (diesels, lower level Lexus/Toyotas, Honda/Acuras, etc), while other makes and models are pretty much expiration dates (BMW, Range Rover, etc). Where does the Tesla Model S fall in that spectrum?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:57 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
They are scarier than a Rolls-Royce.

Why?
Because there is ONE source for everything. It is a monopoly.
Tesla can charge any price they want and there is nothing you can do except 1) Pay or 2) Own a driveway brick.
They've totally got you by the short n curlies. You have zero other options.

There is a reason that there's a glut of them. No one wants to own such a potential money pit.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:38 PM

686 posts, read 804,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post

Why?
Tesla can charge any price they want and there is nothing you can do except 1) Pay or 2) Own a driveway brick.

There is a reason that there's a glut of them. No one wants to own such a potential money pit.
Great point. I had never thought about that. That is scary to think about if your only option is the Tesla dealer

Old 12-17-2018, 02:02 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post

Why?

That seems like hyperbole. I have much greater confidence in owning a new/used/high-miled Tesla than a Rolls-Royce. There is "virtually" one source for everything, but there are more 3rd-party suppliers coming online...as former Tesla employees open up shops and tuners have already fabricated a number of enhancements. It would be nice to see some less expensive body panels made. The downside to aluminum parts is that they are expensive and more difficult to replace (see the new Ford F-150). However, I think you're right when it comes to the software and the nitty-gritty of the car. I think there's too much of an IP-lockdown to allow for 3rd-parties to get into that.

The reason behind the glut of used inventory is because Tesla didn't ramp up production until 2014 and we're seeing a huge number of lease returns. Apparently their leasing partner can't find financing after a 6X boost in volume over the last couple of months:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...ncial-trouble/

A lot of folks are trading in their older Model Ss for the Model 3 with AP. Just yesterday, I saw 6 Model 3s drive by as I driving just 1 mile to the freeway...granted I live 2 miles from a Tesla Sales and Delivery store. I also live next to a Land Rover, Pagani, McLaren, and Porsche consignment store...right next to a McDonalds.

https://goo.gl/maps/1NVMXA3Nk3A2

Old 12-17-2018, 02:21 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
That seems like hyperbole. I have much greater confidence in owning a new/used/high-miled Tesla than a Rolls-Royce. There is "virtually" one source for everything, but there are more 3rd-party suppliers coming online
It's not hyperbole. I own a Merkur and know all about "unicorn parts". You hope you don't need one because they are EXPENSIVE.
Merkurs only have a few such parts, but Teslas are chock full of them. They can blow a gaping hole in your wallet pronto.

At least if I have a Rolls, I can probably find a used part.
Still expensive, but nothing compared to something that's "OEM only"... and the OEM knows it.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:35 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
A lot of folks are trading in their older Model Ss for the Model 3 with AP. Just yesterday, I saw 6 Model 3s drive by as I driving just 1 mile to the freeway...granted I live 2 miles from a Tesla Sales and Delivery store. I also live next to a Land Rover, Pagani, McLaren, and Porsche consignment store...right next to a McDonalds.
Off-topic, but interesting (at least to me), yesterday as I was driving along I saw a car carrier load of new Tesla's being delivered to what looked like some seedy used car lot in a bad part of Raleigh. As I drove by, I noticed about 50 more sitting in the lot (some still wrapped in their protective plastic). I was very surprised by this, a high-end brand like Tesla I would think would have a better location than that.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:30 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,551,491 times
I'm thinking about a used 2015 with Autopilot. It sure would help on my 45 mile each way commute down Hwy 321 in NC. My Volt does the drive fairly well, and keeps fuel costs to a minimum, but I'd be willing to trade a small bit of efficiency for the ability to let the car do 90% of the driving.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:21 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
Is this plan only for saving money? Because with $25K one can buy a lot of good brand new ICE cars. You can buy a decent used one for half the price. I am wondering if the savings on the gas would be wiped out by potential expensive repairs.

Now, if one has to be seen driving a Tesla, than that is a whole different issue.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:43 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,551,491 times
Nobody is buying a Tesla to save on fuel costs. That’s what a Nissan Leaf is for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla