Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times

Advertisements

I love CA - my sister has lived in SoCal for 25 years and two of my closest friends live in SF and Russian River area. I have several other classmates and friends there - including one who calls me 'her brother' who lives in Pasadena. A few of them have mentioned moving back to Texas in the last year or two.

To me, CA just seems like the IRS and tax code - it's gotten into such a huge tangle what do you do but abolish it?

I love to visit out there but am always happy to come home to Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 12:42 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
The only way Texas can justify many of its more cruel disservices to its citizens is to demonize states like California. Its kind of pathetic.
The biggest cruelty of all is being unemployed. California has 1,200,000 more unemployed people than Texas.

Texas added 3 times as many jobs between April and May as California did.

Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary

Old 07-15-2010, 02:10 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The biggest cruelty of all is being unemployed. California has 1,200,000 more unemployed people than Texas.

Texas added 3 times as many jobs between April and May as California did.

Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary
Giving children cancer via the laxest environmental laws in the country(essentially non-existent) then allowing the state to have the worst rates of childhood insurance in the country is crueler I would argue.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Giving children cancer via the laxest environmental laws in the country(essentially non-existent) then allowing the state to have the worst rates of childhood insurance in the country is crueler I would argue.
Do you have any evidence that children's cancer rates in Texas are higher?

I think you are simply reaching and have no data to show this. Everything I read says the causes of childhood cancer are still largely unknown. Environmental factors are suspected, but not understood or proven. And I didn't find anything that said children in Texas have more cancer than children in other states.

Childhood Cancers - National Cancer Institute

Old 07-16-2010, 04:37 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Childhood cancer is caused by many factors, not just environmental. A lot of it is genetic.

Last time I checked the air quality in California cities was far worse than Texas cities, including Houston which has cleaned up its air a lot. There's a new tower being topped out in downtown right now that's powered by 5 wind driven turbines on the roof. The George R. Brown Convention Center in downtown is also going high tech with several thousand square feet of solar panels on its sprawling roof line.

Texas' potential for green energy is a Godsend & has only just begun to be tapped.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:15 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Childhood cancer is caused by many factors, not just environmental. A lot of it is genetic.

Last time I checked the air quality in California cities was far worse than Texas cities, including Houston which has cleaned up its air a lot. There's a new tower being topped out in downtown right now that's powered by 5 wind driven turbines on the roof. The George R. Brown Convention Center in downtown is also going high tech with several thousand square feet of solar panels on its sprawling roof line.

Texas' potential for green energy is a Godsend & has only just begun to be tapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas