Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:03 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times

Advertisements

At this weekend's Texas Association of School Board's Convention 75.3% of the 1050 state school board delegates voting, voted to direct the State Board of Education by name, to take politics out of the curriculum process.

I introduced the resolution and the floor debate was fun. TASB's own board was against naming them - so it was a fun battle. A video clip should be available eventually.

The media such as the NY Times which was quick to point out how redneck Texas was when the State Board of Education made the curriculum changes, does not seem to want to report this. JIm McKinley of the Times wrote me when we started but is silent now, as is Greg Poppo from USA Today.

Its more fun depicting Texas as backward- makes those up north feel better I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
At this weekend's Texas Association of School Board's Convention 75.3% of the 1050 state school board delegates voting, voted to direct the State Board of Education by name, to take politics out of the curriculum process.

I introduced the resolution and the floor debate was fun. TASB's own board was against naming them - so it was a fun battle. A video clip should be available eventually.

The media such as the NY Times which was quick to point out how redneck Texas was when the State Board of Education made the curriculum changes, does not seem to want to report this. JIm McKinley of the Times wrote me when we started but is silent now, as is Greg Poppo from USA Today.

Its more fun depicting Texas as backward- makes those up north feel better I guess.
Making fun of Texas is a sport for many. Just like it is for California.

The BOE is an embarrassment. Fortunately, they don't impact what happens in the classroom nearly as much as people fear.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:55 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:

I know. It's frustrating. A while back with the textbook debate, I quit a Facebook group devoted to the issue because so many posters kept coloring all Texans as ignorant rednecks. I just couldn't read anymore BS.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:00 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,188 times
Quote:

Thank you for the role you played in this! I'm only sorry that nearly a quarter of the delegates didn't agree with your position. Polling I've seen show that the majority of Texans do not agree with what the SBOE is doing, but that's hardly ever reported either. Also rarely mentioned is the fact that the head nut of that nut house, Don McLeroy, was voted out of office in the Republican primary by a moderate and two of the others who side with the extreme right will also not be returning in January. I guess that doesn't make the story quite as fun for the national media. I'll be glad when I'm not hearing any news stories about our SBOE again.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Jim McKinley of the NY Times did write me back and said he's considering a story. If you agree that he should let people know that Texas has some education minded people who place kids over politics and maybe even if you have a quote- let him know Jim Mckinley mckinley@nytimes.com

Old 09-29-2010, 10:17 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I contacted my representative right after that whole textbook thing was making news and she said it was a bunch of hooey and that schools have a lot of control of their curriculum at the local level.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:27 AM

Stan let me answer you specifically. Local Texas School Boards Do have the final say in what textbooks the school uses, but here's the catch. If we don't use the ones that the SBOE has on its approved list we have to pay for them ourselves.

There will already be an $18 Billion State Deficit this year (Perry is not being honest about it) and about 650 of the 1050 Texas School Districts already ventured into their reserve funds last year.g Books for a full set of classes could easily cost $350 per student. Technically you are correct, but in practical reality -NO

Old 09-29-2010, 12:33 PM

474 posts, read 905,406 times
Even if the school has no choice but to use an offensive textbook - that doesn't mean that is all the teacher teaches to. The teachers I know (of my children) use the textbooks to frame the course, but usually include additional material into class.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Even if the school has no choice but to use an offensive textbook - that doesn't mean that is all the teacher teaches to. The teachers I know (of my children) use the textbooks to frame the course, but usually include additional material into class.
I've seen this, too. My kids often say at the end of the year that they've never even had to open some of those huge textbooks. They're getting what they need to excel without the books, but it rankles me as a taxpayer that our district bought books that are going unused in the first place.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:48 PM

The books come out of the permanent reserve fund- not the regular budget. They have billions in there because its funded by oil and gas. Of course if the State Board of Education wants to change books all the time because of political reasons -we could run out of funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: