Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:41 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I really don't care! It's called WINTER nothing suppose to be green.
Honestly though, I kind of agree with this. I have spent most of this winter in the Southeast states. I have come to the conclusion that very VERY few places in the entire country actually remain totally green all year round. It was a bit of a disappointment to tell the truth. While the East Coast has beautiful falls, the winter time isnt anything to write home about at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 07:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Yeah, the only thing green are the pines..Tyler needs to borrow some of that lush undergrowth from North Central Texas....

SHOTS FIRED!!
There is TONS of undergrowth in the Piney Woods that stays green year round. Red Cedars, Holly Bushes, etc.

We live in an urban forest here after all.

Comparing North Central Texas to East Texas when it comes to greenery & foliage is like me comparing East Texas to the Northwestern & Northeastern United States.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
There is TONS of undergrowth in the Piney Woods that stays green year round.

We live in an urban forest here after all.

Comparing North Central Texas to East Texas when it comes to greenery & foliage is like me comparing East Texas to the Northwest United States.
Called sarcasm bro. Totally agree that North Texas looks extremely brown, and brittle year roun -- *ahem* I mean in the wintertime. And I know just as you do that if you actually go into the city, there is quite a bit of green foliage aside from the pines.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:48 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Called sarcasm bro. Totally agree that North Texas looks extremely brown, and brittle year roun -- *ahem* I mean in the wintertime. And I know just as you do that if you actually go into the city, there is quite a bit of green foliage aside from the pines.
LOL

Dallas is pretty green in the spring time. I know when its spring when the Trinity River Flood Plain turns green.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
LOL

Dallas is pretty green in the spring time. I know when its spring when the Trinity River Flood Plain turns green.
I feel you...I mean, I guess its all relative. Dallas's greenery just needs to be more abundant for me. There are times when I can see clear across the metroplex. I hate that. I like a few sizable trees obstructing my view now and then. Thats one of the things I like about the Houston area. You can drive through some areas like San Felipe just north of Westhiemer and the trees just tower over you. And then suddenly you're enveloped in city lights again.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:08 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Nice pics, but pretty pointless thread. Nearly all of the major cities have a substantial amount of trees that stay green year round. Here in San Antonio, around the corner from my house there's practically nothing BUT green with all the oak trees around. Houston of course has its pines and oaks, and Dallas has its oaks and cedars.

Besides, even in those pics, East Texas still looks pretty dead. The only thing green is the pines.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:13 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algreen View Post
nice pics, but pretty pointless thread. Nearly all of the major cities have a substantial amount of trees that stay green year round. Here in san antonio, around the corner from my house there's practically nothing but green with all the oak trees around. Houston of course has its pines and oaks, and dallas has its oaks and cedars.

besides, even in those pics, east texas still looks pretty dead. The only thing green is the pines.
Exactly!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Exactly!
Lol, I posted before I read through the thread and saw that you all had already pointed that out. And pines don't even have leaves, they have needles, so they don't count lol.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Honestly though, I kind of agree with this. I have spent most of this winter in the Southeast states. I have come to the conclusion that very VERY few places in the entire country actually remain totally green all year round. It was a bit of a disappointment to tell the truth. While the East Coast has beautiful falls, the winter time isnt anything to write home about at all
This is where Northern California has everyone beat. The winter is the "rainy" season and everything turns lush and green. All the hills surrounding San Francisco all the way to Sacramento are lush and green. It's quite beautiful. Also, they would never get cold weather like this. It was usually in the 50's in the Bay Area in the winter, even at night.

Southern California is a bit different because it's drier but the winter is still the rainy season down there and that's when things green up as well.

The summer in California is when everything dries out, with nary a drop of rain from March until October. The landscape begins to look like, well Texas at that time, but with no humidity, no pollen, and no mosquitoes.

They really have the best weather in the country. It's mild and green when the rest of the country is either brown and cold or white and cold. Then it's warm/hot and dry in the summer when the rest of the country is hot and humid.

I do miss the winter greenery sometimes.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:32 PM

It's relative. I much prefer the "dead" look of winter. And give me Texas weather over California weather any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas