Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Uh, what?

Your lack of understanding about what the Constitution is appalling.
Have you read it? Have you read what the men who wrote it had to say at the time? They were not shy about writing down everything that they thought (and, no, they didn't always agree initially on every detail, but they came to agreement and that's what they signed).

How about this (I quoted it earlier, but perhaps you missed it):

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

That's as applicable today as it was then (perhaps moreso). And guess who they "those who would give up essential liberty (for others) to purchase a little temporary safety" are in this discussion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 02:16 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,418,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Have you read it? Have you read what the men who wrote it had to say at the time? They were not shy about writing down everything that they thought (and, no, they didn't always agree initially on every detail, but they came to agreement and that's what they signed).

How about this (I quoted it earlier, but perhaps you missed it):

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

That's as applicable today as it was then (perhaps moreso). And guess who they "those who would give up essential liberty (for others) to purchase a little temporary safety" are in this discussion?

Well, as nice a quote as that is, it's not in the US Constitution. When it came to that particular document, they wrote as little as possible, on purpose.

A more fitting quote might be from Justice Jackson:

"The Constitution is not a suicide pact."

Again, your lack of knowledge about the Constitution itself is appalling.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:58 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Now, any cook worth their salt (interesting old phrase, that) knows that WHEN you salt is as important as how much salt is added,
lol, yes, salting food while it is cooking helps with moisture.

I was just messing with you on throwing salt in bars.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:11 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, yes, salting food while it is cooking helps with moisture.

I was just messing with you on throwing salt in bars.
Gotta watch out for second-hand salt.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,197,088 times
Since we're talking about throwing food; let's try and pass a law that anyone who throws popcorn in a theater should be shot or beat on site.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
This is America. {well, it used to be}

If a bar or restaurant owner wants to allow smoking in his establishment, he should be allowed to.

If the owner is OK with smoking, the employees are OK with smoking and the patrons are OK with smoking.......why should it be anyone else's business? You don't have to work there and you don't have to eat or drink there.

Please tell me why anti-smoker's have a problem with this.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Since we're talking about throwing food; let's try and pass a law that anyone who throws popcorn in a theater should be shot or beat on site.
having problems with people throwing stuff at you in movies??? LOL, that was me the other day btw. I am sorry, the movie was boring. I had to entertain myself somehow.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

If a bar or restaurant owner wants to allow smoking in his establishment, he should be allowed to.

If the owner is OK with smoking, the employees are OK with smoking and the patrons are OK with smoking.......why should it be anyone else's business? You don't have to work there and you don't have to eat or drink there.

they are not anti smoking. They are just anti dying of cancer and spiting up tar and having bloody lungs.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,870,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

That is pretty much how Midland's ordinance was set up, except it applies to all public places, not just bars. It may have changed since I left, but this was the new ordinance that was set up around 3 years ago.

It's a good balance.

Business owners have 3 choices:

1. Allow smoking anywhere in the establishment; there are no non-smoking areas.

2. Allow smoking only in designated areas. BUT.....the non-smoking and the smoking areas have to have completely separate ventilation systems, with no possible way for smoke to get into the non-smoking areas. This is a very expensive option, so very few businesses took this one.

3. Allow no smoking at all anywhere in the establishment.

MOST businesses and restaurants (except the bars) chose option 3. But the point is.....they had a CHOICE.

FWIW: I am an ex-smoker going on 32 years.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
That is pretty much how Midland's ordinance was set up, except it applies to all public places, not just bars. It may have changed since I left, but this was the new ordinance that was set up around 3 years ago.

It's a good balance.

Business owners have 3 choices:

1. Allow smoking anywhere in the establishment; there are no non-smoking areas.

2. Allow smoking only in designated areas. BUT.....the non-smoking and the smoking areas have to have completely separate ventilation systems, with no possible way for smoke to get into the non-smoking areas. This is a very expensive option, so very few businesses took this one.

3. Allow no smoking at all anywhere in the establishment.

MOST businesses and restaurants (except the bars) chose option 3. But the point is.....they had a CHOICE.

FWIW: I am an ex-smoker going on 32 years.

I would not have a problem with those choices at all.

see progress does come from regulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas