Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 AM

19 posts, read 52,920 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I'm j1 student from Europe and at the end of June I'm planning to arrive to the USA for summer Work and Travel Program.
I thought I was having job provided in Hyannis, Massachusetts, but my potential employer called me yesterday, that unfortunately he won't hire me this summer. Now I'm wondering if it isn't to big risk to come and look for a summer job after arrival? I will stay in the USA till the beginning of October. I have to decide where should I go- I would like not to have difficulty with finding summer job and I need some advice.
I would be grateful for your answer. thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 12:09 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,961 times
Work with your school, they probably have some sort of connections, how did you find the first job?

I don't think I would just come and assume you will find a job though, there aren't that many summer jobs for American students let alone foreign ones.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 AM

487 posts, read 992,105 times
I think the OP will have a very hard time finding a job. Not many companies are hiring, let alone someone with no long term work authorization. When I went to business school nobody was hiring unless you had a lot of experience in a particular area AND had permanent work authorization.

May be a non-paid internship?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:01 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Unless something has drastically changed, J1 visa holders are only permitted to work for the employer that sponsors their visa.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Texas summers are really hot. You should go someplace in the Rocky Mountains, it will be much more pleasant.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,478 times
My wife came on a j1 from Ireland...TX is great in the summer don't let the weather or the guy above scare you. We've had loads of Irish friends do the same thing in Houston and Dallas and they loved TX even in the summer. There are lots of mall and restaurant jobs as well as amusement parks in San Antonio and Dallas mainly. My wife worked at baby gap lol. Nanny jobs are plentiful as well. Her cousin is on a j1 this summer and has just landed a sweet nanny job...she works for all of June and gets paid enough to take July and August off.

TX is a great place for young people, hot or not.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
What country are you coming from?
What languages do you speak and write?
Can you tutor any foreign language? http://www.specialty-tutors.com/

Have you contacted Euro companies with offices in the U.S.?
Have you looked up any companies that contract translators?
Have you contacted your country's embassy or various consulates in U.S. cities?

Can you barista?

Old 06-18-2011, 04:23 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
you can't be admitted w/o a job--your visa is no good
your employers has probably already pulled the plug with immigration because the employer will have to PAY to have you enter into the country
no employer who has fired you is going to let that bond stand and take chance that you will enter under false premise
at least that is what I would do if I had initially thought I would be hiring you and sponsoring that visa

this info from immigration attorney's web site--and note it says that you have to show enough funds to cover ALL expenses in the US
if you were planning on using that job to help cover your expenses then you are not going to qualify

Q: What other requirements do I have to meet in order to obtain a J-1 visa?

A: In addition to have a program sponsor, the J-1 visa applicant must show the consular officer that he/she plans to stay in the U.S. for only a limited period of time, has enough funds to cover all expenses in the U.S., and that there are significant, binding social and economic ties to the applicant’s country of residence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: