Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 AM

12 posts, read 17,083 times

Advertisements

Married, no kids, 32 yrs old, have dog. My husband and I are relocating to DFW area for a variety of reasons from California. We will be looking for work when we arrive making it all the more difficult choosing where to rent. We will have savings $ and a few paychecks when we arrive, so we can afford no more than $1250/month. Prefer a house with at least a small yard--don't need more than 2-3 bdrms. I am trying to find a good central location for job search. I know it makes it more difficult to ask for advice without job; however, we are willing to move after the first year if we cannot find jobs in area we rent. Looking at Grapevine/Richardson/Plano. Heard there is a lot of highway construction in Grapevine and will be hell if we need to commute. Any thoughts? Sorry, if I am not using proper etiquette.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:18 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,879 times
If it were me, I would consider an extended stay first extended stay dallas - Google Search

This is a very large metroplex and you will want some time to determine the best area for you and within reasonable proximity to your job

Old 07-05-2011, 03:06 PM

Default not an option

JW - Thanks for your advice, but extended stay not an option. Don't want to store my stuff. I have my own house now and don't want to spend too much on storage. Just want to settle in somewhere decent and find a job nearby.

Husband and I are not that worried about "family friendly" since we don't have/don't plan on having kids. I read other posts that E. Dallas area/uptown etc are cool for singles, but what about married couples/no kids in early 30's. We like to go out and have a good time. Our dog is like our child, so pet friendly is a must.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:20 PM

149 posts, read 357,704 times
You'll find the job market much better in DFW than in California although most of y'all don't post; I'm coming from Stockton or LA so it's hard to gauge what is what. California is a big but strange place.

As for rentals, there should be tons of houses for rent in that range. I suggest you look for a place off of 635 in East Dallas or Richardson. Good neighborhoods are plentiful in those areas and you have good access to major roads.

PS. Now that you are going to be in Texas, you'll have to act normal and stuff. We know all about you Californians and how you are. Then again, I've been accused of having a dry sense of humor.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:30 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
how you will find someone to rent to you when you don't have employment will be the problem--
you maybe asked to front all 6 mo or 12 mo rent at once--

rental homes in good locations at fair prices go off the market quickly and often are only advertised by signs in the front yards--meaning you have to do lot of driving around to find them

Grapevine is in the midst of road construction and would not be the ideal place because of that if you are wanting to commute all over the metroplex
and a rental in Grapevine at that price would not be that easy to find

Old 07-05-2011, 09:58 PM

Default Thanks

I know us "Californians" are freaks. I am actually a military brat and lived all over, just got stuck out west for a while. One of the reasons i am leaving is the "freaks"....Not that all Cali peeps are that way, but you get my drift.

You are right, I won't have employment, but I will have plenty in the bank and with a few paychecks in hand. Alot of employers out there don't want to hire you if you don't already live in DFW area and have told me more than once "to give them a call once I am there." Only relocators or government employers usually hire outside the area. I have no problem paying up front, just want a decent place.

I appreciate the advice. If you have anymore suggestions I appreciate them. Thanks again.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:18 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I would say check out the Texas Workforce Commission job site--
those are real jobs--unlike some of the ones that are posted on Monster/Career Builder

you can search by area and by job skill

and you are correct that most companies especially smaller ones are not interested in wasting time dealing with apps from people from out of town--much less out of state--
it is a very fluid job market

depending on what you and your wife have as job skills/work history--you really should consider where you want to live--
the likelihood of finding work in Tarrant or Dallas counties is pretty good if you are willing to have a wide search target for what you are willing to take as pay and if you are willing to start as contract type employee vs full time-permanent--some people have suggested going to temp employment agencies just to get your foot in the door since there is lot of temp hiring in various areas--

I think MANY companies are using the contract/hire as way to scope out employees--
my husband has done that where he works and I know two people who got jobs that way

my suggestion would be to decide WHERE you want to live in general--
Dallas or Tarrant county--and then find rental in decent area close to decent freeway access

public transportation is really a no-go in Tarrant side but it could be viable choice in Dallas--but you would not be able to use it for job search--just as option AFTER you get home/job and see if they can fit---

Check craigslist and see if there are sublets for 5 or 6 mo--and just don't bring all your furniture--
take a smaller place with some room for your dogs and do minimal existence for say 4-5 mo--
hopefully you will have found something by then and can move to more permanant location

but I would not try to rent in Dallas area long term and consider any job west of Irving or maybe north Arlington

there are LOTS of people who apparently live in Tarrant county however and work in Dallas area--just because there are so many MORE jobs in Dallas area--my husband used to work in downtown Dallas and then at the Crescent area and then Las Colinas--making a commute from Bedford (in the Mid Cities)
now he is working in downtown FTW/Sundance Sq and the commute is SO much better--
not to mention he has no sun in his eyes either way (a big but often overlooked positive for a commute)

You should get a toll tag for your cars when you get them registered--just takes the hassle out of dealing with our growing web of toll roads on the Dallas side

Tarrant county side is basically slower, less traffic (at least on surface roads), has shopping and great restaurants and entertainment--just not as many to choose from as the Dallas side--because there are fewer people on the Tarrant side--
it is more laid back I think for various reasons but % wise your odds of finding a job are probably stronger in Dallas area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas