Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,651 times

Advertisements

Hi All, I'm new here (Please be gentle) 17, Female & all that stuff..

My dad is currently living in Texas City and I plan on visiting him around April next year. He ran away from UK 3 years ago so he's not really the same man I knew before so I have a few insecurities about going there especially knowing he likes to drink a large amount of alcohol every day.

So, I have a few questions for you all.. (yall )

1.Could you name some places I could visit or things to do whilst I'm there?

2.Where should I not go? or where would you consider an unsafe place?

3.Is it safe to walk freely at night?

4.Any advice on getting along with locals?

5.Any advice on anything in Texas City?!?!?!

I would really appreciate if anybody answered any of my questions, it would mean a great deal to me

Courtney.

P.S - I have a stepmom & stepsiblings there but they don't live with my dad. I also have a friend and her family living in Texas City, it's not only my dad I will be seeing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 06:17 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,684 times
Texas City is an industral town on the outskirts of Houston, now as far as things to do there really isn't much, but if you have a chance I would highly recommend Galveston Island which is about 10 miles south from Texas City along the Texas Gulf coast which offers alot from history to attractions. As for walking out at night I would take caution like anywhere you would go, see whats around and keep a good eye.

GALVESTON.COM: What to Do in Galveston, Texas

Old 10-31-2011, 07:12 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,167,162 times
Texas City underwent one of the worst industrial disasters in history right after WWII, and because of the high concentration of petroleum industry processing plants there, other serious disasters have occurred since the one mentioned.

With that introduction... NASA's Space Flight center is also nearby - the closest really interesting thing to take a tour of. Other than that, things for tourists to do are going to take a bit more traveling - to Houston for all the "cultural" things embodied in art museums, etc. And to Galveston Island for a taste of the seaside life, like aquariums. Galveston has also seen disasters of world-class proportions - in the form of hurricanes. So there is a lot of history there.

Have a great time and don't worry about safety issues. Just use good ole common sense and don't do anything foolish and you'll be just fine.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:16 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
There's not a lot going on in Texas City. As previous posters have said, Galveston might be a good visit. Warning: don't expect much from the beach. Texas beaches aren't as quality as one might expect. But there's a couple of fine old homes worth the tour to see how life was in Galveston before the big storm.

Up the bay a bit is Kemah where hundreds of casual sailors dock their boats. And some fairly good seafood dining. And Clear Lake, as mentioned earlier, the space flight control center... of "Houston, we have a problem" fame.

You might want to post further inquiry in the Houston forum as Texas City is far more integrated to the Houston metro than it is to the rest of the state.

Good luck, travel safe, Welcome to Texas ! ! !

Old 10-31-2011, 01:05 PM

42 posts, read 148,579 times
There is really nothing much to see in Texas City itself but there is plenty to do in the surrounding area.

Galveston - Beaches, historical sites, Moody Gardens
Clear Lake - Space Center Houston (NASA), Kemah Boardwalk
Houston - Galleria Mall, Astros baseball game

Not sure how long you're staying, but if you have the time and ability, you may want to take a drive to San Antonio, about 3.5 hours away. I have a daughter the same age as you and it is her favorite city in Texas. Lots to see including the Alamo, Fiesta Texas, old missions and the Riverwalk.

As far as the locals, Texans, and really most Americans, are friendly and helpful...despite our reputation as overweight, illiterate warmongers! Don't be afraid. Bur don't walk alone on dark streets either.

Make sure you eat barbecue, hot wings and Tex-Mex food while you're here!

Old 10-31-2011, 02:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
I think everybody has highlighted good places to see. I want to emphasize #2 and #3. A good portion of Texas City is ok. A good portion is not. Just be aware of your surroundings. I personally would not walk around at night there. Same thing for Galveston. Galveston has some touristy areas like the Strand and the Seawall where lots of people congregate at night. Those are ok, but be aware there area some really sketchy areas in Galveston.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:05 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Kemah is nice and $$$$

Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 PM

443 posts, read 1,567,349 times
First thing's first. Do not let Texas City impress you as how Texas is. That area is home to one of the largest chemical plant rows in America, that isn't the norm; oil is big here but not that big.

There are many things to do in Houston, but do leave Houston, and travel a bit. I think Central Texas is truly where the heart of Texas is and it shows our quirky side as well. For someone of your age probably starting with Austin and San Antonio, but check out New Braunfels, and some of the smaller cities in Central Texas as well. It'll give you a real taste of Texas, literally with some of the best tex mex and bbq in the state.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:44 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,998 times
Texas City is rough. Your father must be working at a refinery.

Nice tourist area of Galveston or near the Kemah Boardwalk would probably be a good place to stay at night. You'll find plenty to do, and the people are friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGeorgiou View Post
Hi All, I'm new here (Please be gentle) 17, Female & all that stuff..

My dad is currently living in Texas City and I plan on visiting him around April next year. He ran away from UK 3 years ago so he's not really the same man I knew before so I have a few insecurities about going there especially knowing he likes to drink a large amount of alcohol every day.

So, I have a few questions for you all.. (yall )

1.Could you name some places I could visit or things to do whilst I'm there?

2.Where should I not go? or where would you consider an unsafe place?

3.Is it safe to walk freely at night?

4.Any advice on getting along with locals?

5.Any advice on anything in Texas City?!?!?!

I would really appreciate if anybody answered any of my questions, it would mean a great deal to me

Courtney.

P.S - I have a stepmom & stepsiblings there but they don't live with my dad. I also have a friend and her family living in Texas City, it's not only my dad I will be seeing

Old 11-02-2011, 01:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
Overall, crime is not that bad in Texas City, a little bit higher then the National average, which is higher then the Texas average. http://www.city-data.com/city/Texas-City-Texas.html Of the two zip codes in Texas City it looks like 77590 is the safest. But I have not spent any time there so can't say what to expect.

You are going to need a car to get around. I cannot find any indication that Texas City has any public transportation. Although Houston and Galveston do.

I too recommend hanging out at Kemah Boardwalk - The Fun Never Stops! or GALVESTON.COM: Galveston, Texas Sights & Attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas