Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 10:27 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
They don't need to "develop" a market, there is a market. And that market consists of adventurous shoppers that like a good value. (that is unless you mean market as a synonym for grocery store) .
You beat me to it! Develop a "market"...I GET it! Dang, I've got a marketing degree and you caught that before I did! Dang cedar fever .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 10:45 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
When we shopped at TJs we got all of our dry, dairy, and frozen staples there, we also did get SOME produce there. We got meat at Costco and the balance of our produce at QFC (grocery chain in the PNW that was three blocks from our house). However, the lion's share of our grocery budget was spent at TJs.
I could see doing that. The thing is we pretty much buy 90% fresh stuff, very little dry/frozen. The main dry stuff we buy is bulk flour and rice. For dairy (cheese, milk, yogurt, eggs), TJ doesnt carry the organic brands my wife likes.

Most of the prepackaged stuff we buy is asian food from the asian market.

We definitely love TJ's though and would love to have one.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:02 AM

29 posts, read 36,230 times
Default Rejoice

It's not officially announced, but it may be in the works behind closed doors. They've announced four TX locations, The Woodlands, Dallas, Ft. Worth and Plano to open this year. I'm not sure how many other stores they plan to open, but I'm pretty sure they're interested in Austin as well. Dallas/Ft. Worth doesn't seem to be too far away from Austin, so even if it's a year or two before one opens locally, there's at least an option for TJ fans. My husband works at the one in Nashville, TN and he says they get people from Memphis, Chattanooga, Knoxville and beyond that come into the store once a month and stock up because it's the closest store to them. Thankfully they're opening one in Knoxville in a few months, so that will give people in TN more options.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 PM

515 posts, read 1,397,115 times
Well hopefully TJs will hurry and get here because I have the perfect location for them. The Sprouts that went out on Brodie Lane is about the average size of most TJs. And it's close to where I live. I think Trader Joes would do just fine here. They really aren't competition to the big markets like HEB or Whole Foods/ Central Market. Totally different type of animal.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:06 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan View Post
Well hopefully TJs will hurry and get here because I have the perfect location for them. The Sprouts that went out on Brodie Lane is about the average size of most TJs. And it's close to where I live. I think Trader Joes would do just fine here. They really aren't competition to the big markets like HEB or Whole Foods/ Central Market. Totally different type of animal.
I'm thinking the same location would be perfect.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,536,266 times
Well, they'd better hurry and get to you so that you can enjoy this fabulous wonton soup they just came out with. I can't live without it right now!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Here we go again. This has been talked about again and again for years and nothing has been done, something about the distribution channels not being in Texas yet.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Here we go again. This has been talked about again and again for years and nothing has been done, something about the distribution channels not being in Texas yet.
That's the whole point. Distribution channels are NOW being set up with the stores opening in Dallas.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 PM

970 posts, read 1,873,153 times
I always thought TJs was o.........k........nothing more.....Maybe it was back in the early '80s when I first went there......somethin' different. Recently visited one while in San Diego, and it's still........o.......k.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,677 times
I read recently that TJ's had no plans to expand into the Austin area that the scuttle was pretty much wishful thinking. If I can find the article I'll update with a post.

Question for all you locals. Just where do you grocery shop? We were in New Braunfels 4 years ago on vacation and the one thing we noticed was that with the exception of HEB and Wal-mart there are not any other grocery store chains. I live in an area that has about 6 recognized chains that are the market share along with Costco, Sams Club and Wal-Mart. We have 1 Whole Foods, 1 TJ's and no Sprouts. The only Sprouts I have ever seen was in So. California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas