Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 01:10 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,499,378 times

Advertisements

What's going on?

Texas A&M: Active shooter on campus apprehended - Yahoo! News

"COLLEGE STATION, Texas — Texas A&M University says a shooter has been taken into custody near its campus in College Station."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 03:06 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,943,454 times
This is from a local news website.
Evidently an officer was serving eviction when shots were fired on law enforcement. A constable from Brazos County and a male civilian have died. Also the shooter who was apprehended has since died form his injuries as well. I've seen errors in reporting on a few different news outlets websites but note that this was not on campus. However, it was near campus. It happened in an older section of town. I knew a few students that rented in the area. It's not a high rent section. Not sure exactly the statistics of how many students rent in the area. Fortunately classes start two weeks from now so there aren't many students in town. Dorm move in is this weekend so had this happened a week later things could be worse.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,038,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
This is from a local news website.
Evidently an officer was serving eviction when shots were fired on law enforcement. A constable from Brazos County and a male civilian have died. Also the shooter who was apprehended has since died form his injuries as well. I've seen errors in reporting on a few different news outlets websites but note that this was not on campus. However, it was near campus. It happened in an older section of town. I knew a few students that rented in the area. It's not a high rent section. Not sure exactly the statistics of how many students rent in the area. Fortunately classes start two weeks from now so there aren't many students in town. Dorm move in is this weekend so had this happened a week later things could be worse.
Wow, sorry to hear about this tragedy! Like you said, it could have been worse if this happened next week after the students return. My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those that were killed.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:02 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,375,082 times
It's a sad story but anyone who has gone through a home eviction (on either side of the door) knows that tempers can quickly soar during a move-out if in fact this is what was happening. A Texas landlord doesn't have to use the Sheriff or Constable's office in an eviction unless the tenant refuses to leave.

It's not a good story to be reading right now as I may have to initiate a Texas eviction this week. I've been through it before and it is not fun for anyone.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,487,386 times
What s#cks most about the reporting is the national news will continue to report this as A&M to make it appear to be another school shooting.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,172,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
What s#cks most about the reporting is the national news will continue to report this as A&M to make it appear to be another school shooting.
My thoughts too. This incident had nothing to do with A&M, even though there was apparently a precautionary notice to students to "stay clear of the area" where the incident happened.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,199,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
My thoughts too. This incident had nothing to do with A&M, even though there was apparently a precautionary notice to students to "stay clear of the area" where the incident happened.

All A&M students, faculty, etc. received text messages called "Code Maroon" alerting them to the situation. A total of 3 messages were sent - the first was an alert about an active shooter in the general area; the second identified a specific block, and the third said the shooter was in custody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: