Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 07:11 AM

103 posts, read 269,909 times

Advertisements

We will be spending a week at Jamaica beach in June. It's me my wife and our 2 kids. I'm just wondering how the fishing is around that area. I was also wondering what attractions we should do around Galveston and what are some good places to eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 07:38 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,272,119 times
The Strand is fun. Lots and lots to do around there. A little bit of everything around there. Parking can be challenging though.
Moody Gardens is very fun, but be prepared to open your wallet for every nit picking thing. We just take in one attraction per visit when we go.
The new pleasure pier - haven't been there. I heard it's fun, but again you shell out lots of $$$.
Galveston has a relatively new, and very large fishing pier. I haven't been there in over 5 years so I can't remember how good it was. http://www.galvestonfishingpier.com/
If you like history, the old historic mansion tours can be really fun. Galveston has some fantastic preserved architecture from another century.
Up the interstate a bit is the Tanger Outlet Mall. They have a reconditioned tool store so I was able to handle it while the better half did her shopping.
And if you are willing to drive about 1/2 hour you can visit the Kemah Boardwalk and Space Center Houston.

Gaidos is a really old restaurant in Galveston good enough to periodically draw us there from the north end of the county. If you find time it's well worth the visit.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
I've vacationed in Galveston previouisly and was not all that impressed. For a Texas beach area I recommend Port Aransas. Great fishing from the rock Jetties that extend far out into the gulf. But that is another 4.5 hour drive to the West.

Curious what attracted you to travel to Galveston I took a look at some of your other posts. Since you will be traveling from around Lafayette, LA I suggest you consider driving East to the Perdido Beach area near Orange Beach, AL. The drive is about 70 miles further East for you but the gulf water is much cleaner and bluer, more like Florida. The sand is nicer too. Texas coastal beaches are pretty much brown water as the gulf currents push the Mississippi River discharge West into Texas waters and the beach sand contains a lot of that silt.

My brother has sent us photos and its amazing how much nicer those beaches are. He has stayed at this place and recommends it highly.

Perdido Beach Resort.
27200 Perdido Beach Blvd.
Orange Beach Alabama
(800) 634-8001
Escape to Paradise on the Gulf Coast at Perdido Beach Resort

Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,950,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I've vacationed in Galveston previouisly and was not all that impressed. For a Texas beach area I recommend Port Aransas. Great fishing from the rock Jetties that extend far out into the gulf. But that is another 4.5 hour drive to the West.
Gotta agree. I really couldn't imagine spending a week in Galveston on vacation unless I was renting a beach house. I spent a weekend there and that was plenty. Keep in mind the water isn't like it is further to the east. Rather than blue or emerald, the water is gray or brown due to silt.

Like Cpt said, the further west/south you go, the nice the Gulf gets. The beaches on South Padre are fairly nice, but that is a long drive and it is an out-and-out tourist trap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas