Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 05:07 PM

471 posts, read 807,668 times

Advertisements

Another reminder of why I love my state. Big middle finger to the leftists.

Quote:
FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- The National Rifle Association is taking its relationship with racing to a new level as the title sponsor of a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race.

The deal with Texas Motor Speedway comes at a time when the NRA is involved in a renewed debate on gun violence in the wake of the December shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.
''It's not about politics. It's about sports marketing,'' TMS president Eddie Gossage said Monday after the announcement of the one-year agreement with the NRA that includes a renewal option.
The April 13 race at Texas, the first scheduled night race in the Cup Series this season, will be known as the NRA 500.

This is not the NRA's first title sponsorship in NASCAR. The group sponsored the second-tier Nationwide race last September at Atlanta, which like Texas is owned by Speedway Motorsports Inc.
''They saw it was obviously a very attractive sports marketing opportunity and seized it. That's what it's all about,'' Gossage said. ''It's about putting on one of the great sporting events in America. I know in Atlanta last year they saluted a lot of the people that make America free. They are going to salute American freedoms and American families with this race. That's their plan so it seemed to be a good fit.''

Y! SPORTS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
There are so many obnoxious a-holes on both sides of gun debate. Every time I listen to both Piers Morgan and the head of the NRA, I want to vomit. I give my middle finger to gun nuts and gun control nuts alike!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
There are so many obnoxious a-holes on both sides of gun debate. Every time I listen to both Piers Morgan and the head of the NRA, I want to vomit. I give my middle finger to gun nuts and gun control nuts alike!
How would you define a "gun nut"?

Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,749,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Sure you do.

You have never been a victim of a violent crime or known someone who was.

I am more worried about the next "interview" - in the parking lot at the store, when I walk in to 7 eleven, or am on DART late at night or the guy who damaged the lock on the back door to my house last year.

The real a-holes are everywhere waiting to take what they can.

The only thing that will stop them is a determined, violent response that either stops them or scares them off.

I think anyone who wants to take away the weak's only means of self-defense is no better than the violent and strong who prey on the weak. In fact they are worse.

The NRA is composed almost 5 million members. Parents, grandparents, single women, etc. They are not nuts, but people committed to living in a society where the means of self-defense are not banned by doddering old fools who have a dozen bodyguards who do not know what it is like to be "little people."

Old 03-06-2013, 08:20 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
Considering NASCAR's main fan base and the president of TMS, Eddie Gossage, this isn't surprising in any way. When I first heard of the name change, my thought was.... "yep".

Now, exactly how this is a "middle finger to the leftists", I don't know. I just see this more as a name change for an event in a sport in a state where several people love guns, so it's not shocking or anything.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,749,453 times
Here is a clear example of what is in store for the "little people."

Democratic Party to Rape Victim: You Were Screwed Anyway! | Power Line

Old 03-06-2013, 10:21 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Here is a clear example of what is in store for the "little people."

Democratic Party to Rape Victim: You Were Screwed Anyway! | Power Line
Wow....gotta love Texas

Old 03-07-2013, 09:18 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,177 times
Yeeeeehaw!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: