Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 12:13 PM

554 posts, read 745,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Now isn't that special.

Bless his heart.
Lyle Lovett said it best: "That's Right [Responsible9], You're Not From Texas" ...

Some Folks just don't get it, do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 12:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
Lyle Lovett said it best: "That's Right [Responsible9], You're Not From Texas" ...

Some Folks just don't get it, do they?
I love Lyle Lovett's voice so much I could ALMOST overlook his face...but that hair... I dunno.

Seriously - I do love his music though! Especially that song!

Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
Everything.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times
What I like most about Texas...

COL
Food
SE Texas
People
Texas Gulf Coast
BBQ
And scenic East Texas

Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 PM

254 posts, read 401,358 times

Old 02-11-2014, 06:17 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Sure, if you can find one!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:32 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
You know? When someone is trashing Texas, I'm all over it with how great we are. When someone is visiting Dallas, I can think of dozens of things to do, places to go...I could be on the tourism committee! But having lived in the Dallas area for more than 30 years, I really thought it was time to go elsewhere...enjoy a climate more suitable to my taste.

However, I can't seem to secure a job in another location so I'm here, in Dallas, for what seems like forever. I think I've just grown really weary of Dallas...because when I take little day trips, for example, to say Winnsboro, I think I could live in Texas FOREVER. The beautiful trees, the piney air, the slow peaceful pace...very relaxing and wonderful.

My question is: how can I possible make a living outside of Dallas without relocating to a large city? How does one make it work in the smaller towns? In the country? My husband and I are not extravagant people and prefer a quiet life with cable and fast internet...but dang, do we enjoy boating and fishing and hiking...I just hate that things are so fast and quick paced in the city...not that it's bad but really, it's just not for me anymore.

HELP ME, wonderful Texas people...what now?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
ShellNic, the question is, what do you do and what can be translated to, say, East Texas. Most probably you would have to start a new business, be self-employed, etc. However, major companies do have offices in East Texas, primarily Longview and Tyler. You could go to Monster and see about jobs in that area. If you have significant degrees, you could see about teaching in the community colleges or others like SFASU.

You will not make as much as you will in Dallas. But the overall living is slower, homes can be cheaper, and quality of life is nicer (lived for years in Palestine, Nacogdoches, moved to Denton because of work in mid-80's).

Can you do it? Yes. Would it be a change of life styles? Maybe. Take a vacation and go look in the Tyler area as a start. There are a lot of small towns around Tyler but Tyler has a small-town feel.

Good luck.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:46 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
ShellNic, the question is, what do you do and what can be translated to, say, East Texas. Most probably you would have to start a new business, be self-employed, etc. However, major companies do have offices in East Texas, primarily Longview and Tyler. You could go to Monster and see about jobs in that area. If you have significant degrees, you could see about teaching in the community colleges or others like SFASU.

You will not make as much as you will in Dallas. But the overall living is slower, homes can be cheaper, and quality of life is nicer (lived for years in Palestine, Nacogdoches, moved to Denton because of work in mid-80's).

Can you do it? Yes. Would it be a change of life styles? Maybe. Take a vacation and go look in the Tyler area as a start. There are a lot of small towns around Tyler but Tyler has a small-town feel.

Good luck.
I went through Tyler MANY years ago but never really explored it...I know it's very pretty. And big enough to probably have something available...however, I've already looked for my kind of work all over Texas and unless I want to move to Houston or stay in Dallas, I haven't found much. I'm a property tax analyst...everyone pays taxes, right? However, I'm not a CPA and most of the property tax jobs are wrapped up into an overall accounting position in many cases so that doesn't really help me.

I lived in Denton while going to college...loved it in the 80's!! It's grown so much though...I wonder if I'd feel the same way as I did then...kind of a sleepy college town...it really suited me then.

Truth is, I have to actually decide what I want instead of wavering back and forth. Stay in Texas or relocate? And if I stay in Texas, do I stay in Dallas or relocate? I feel like I'm becoming bipolar as I can see pros and cons of each choice. Really, it boils down to whether I can find a suitable paying position and make it work???

You offer good advice and I have much to think about. Thanks for your input!

Old 02-11-2014, 11:01 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
Sure. BTW, as a property tax analyst, have you considered going into property tax representation? You need a class and a license - piece of cake. You get 25% of the tax savings usually as the commission. There's a lot of smaller businesses that can use property tax reps that the big firms won't handle. I know some people that started those in East Texas.

As to Denton, it has 110,000 people now. It is a PITA to get around, with an out-of-control code enforcement office. Denton has 2 health inspectors but a dozen enforcement officers, using code enforcement as a cash generator. Can't recommend Denton any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas