Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2023, 09:07 AM

927 posts, read 760,532 times

Advertisements

I thought Dallas was really scary. I had a weird supernatural experience that wasn't good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 11:26 AM

11,841 posts, read 8,040,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
I thought Dallas was really scary. I had a weird supernatural experience that wasn't good.
Was it on one of those freeway ramps that take you to heaven before they descend from the clouds?

Old 05-19-2023, 01:59 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,459,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Also, that video says NOTHING about Dallas being this "coveted" first-market area...it only highlights Highland Park Village as being the "first" outdoor mall in America (very cool by the way), along with other great shopping destinations in DFW.

Like we said earlier...all DELUSION.
It shows how ESTABLISHED HPV is.....And why Luxury brands would choose to locate THERE or NORTHPPARK instead of ANYWHERE in Houston!!!

HPV was the first one created........

NPC was the first mall created.......

When a brand can't pay to get into one of those 2....R.O.D and Houston Galleria become more attractive and is considered a more affordable close second.

Old 05-19-2023, 02:03 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,459,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Was it on one of those freeway ramps that take you to heaven before they descend from the clouds?
...My sister will not drive on the highest beam of the High 5 interchange.

Old 05-19-2023, 02:17 PM

5,618 posts, read 4,951,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
It shows how ESTABLISHED HPV is.....And why Luxury brands would choose to locate THERE or NORTHPPARK instead of ANYWHERE in Houston!!!

When a brand can't pay to get into one of those 2....R.O.D and Houston Galleria become more attractive and is considered a more affordable close second.
HPV, while a very historically significant development, was NOT the first. Country Club Plaza in KCMO was the first.

That said, HPV definitely has more prestige anymore compared to CCP and to my knowledge is more ensconced in very upscale residential neighborhoods.

Old 05-19-2023, 03:38 PM

869 posts, read 320,439 times
Quote:

I'll believe it when actual evidence is produced to support the claim. The video you dug up shows nothing of the sort...it only highlighted the best shopping destinations in DFW. Try again.

We keep going through the same ole' debates, and at this point I'm convinced you just love to hear yourself talk.

Old 05-19-2023, 08:43 PM

4,436 posts, read 6,311,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
HPV, while a very historically significant development, was NOT the first. Country Club Plaza in KCMO was the first.

That said, HPV definitely has more prestige anymore compared to CCP and to my knowledge is more ensconced in very upscale residential neighborhoods.
HP Village is on the national historic registry as the first self contained shopping center.

I do think the Houston market holds its own though. It’s really expanded a lot in the past 5-10 years.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:29 PM

680 posts, read 276,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
HP Village is on the national historic registry as the first self contained shopping center.

I do think the Houston market holds its own though. It’s really expanded a lot in the past 5-10 years.
HPV is a lovely shopping center and is indeed on the National Register of Historic Places, but it is not there because, not does the listing purport it to be, the first shopping center. And there’s a good reason for that… it is not the first shopping center. Nor the second, for that matter.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:31 PM

9,914 posts, read 6,623,087 times
Quote:

ROD’s lease per square foot has been more expensive than HPV since 2021.

Somehow South Congress in Austin is more expensive than both.

ROD’s lease appreciated in value more than any shopping district in the world (percentage wise) in 2021 and for a good reason.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:32 PM

680 posts, read 276,509 times
Here’s what HPV claims on its website. notice the number of qualifiers, which kind of make the claim meaningless:

“According to the Urban Land Institute, Highland Park Village was the first planned shopping center in the United States with a unified architectural style and stores facing in toward an interior parking area, all built and managed under a single ownership.”

Not quite the same as “first shopping center”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas