Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 08:13 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,930 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I am long term resident of Midland, Texas.I am hoping to start a family in a few years.I graduate college soon and hopefully a couple years after that start a land firm.Drugs are getting to be a problem in my area with meth and everything due to the increase in income from boom.There is lots of that in Odessa.Does Abilene or San Angelo have more of a drug problem?I know Angelo is booming somewhat.This boom looks like it could last decades so I may try to get out of dodge before it gets too bad once my company is mature and my children are older.Also, how big of deal are tornadoes in Abilene?I know its more than Midland but idk how big of a threat.Also, I am Church of Christ so it may be easier to raise them in that faith in Abilene.I am just needing some commentary and food for thought.Thanks in advance.
P.S.
Finding employment will not be issue in either city

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 05-27-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 09:03 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,030,205 times
Just FYI, I am a native of Abilene, moved away for several years for college and work and then came back to Abilene in the 90's. During the period I lived elsewhere I lived in Midland for a while and San Angelo for about a year.

I have no idea if Abilene has more of a drug problem than Odessa or San Angelo. I guess you'd just have to check crime statistics on that. You should be able to find that online.

As far as tornadoes go, like you said, it's probably more likely to happen here in Abilene than the Midland/Odessa area but not as likely as it seems to be east of here for example. I have a lot of family members that live in the DFW area and they seem to get more tornadoes than we do here. However, tornadoes are so unpredictable. They can happen almost anywhere it seems these days so it's really hard to say for sure.

As far as churches go, yes, there are several churches here that are the Church of Christ denomination. You would have plenty of choices on that.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Just FYI, I am a native of Abilene, moved away for several years for college and work and then came back to Abilene in the 90's. During the period I lived elsewhere I lived in Midland for a while and San Angelo for about a year.

I have no idea if Abilene has more of a drug problem than Odessa or San Angelo. I guess you'd just have to check crime statistics on that. You should be able to find that online.

As far as tornadoes go, like you said, it's probably more likely to happen here in Abilene than the Midland/Odessa area but not as likely as it seems to be east of here for example. I have a lot of family members that live in the DFW area and they seem to get more tornadoes than we do here. However, tornadoes are so unpredictable. They can happen almost anywhere it seems these days so it's really hard to say for sure.

As far as churches go, yes, there are several churches here that are the Church of Christ denomination. You would have plenty of choices on that.
Okay Thanks.Ive got some churches in mind.This move is a big if since my business will be in petroleum.However, I hear Abilene area is starting to get more activity.Land firms are everywhere.Like I said, I would move my HQ once I get established but like I said its a if.Appreciate it.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:25 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,197 times
If you move to Angelo just dont live on the north end of town and you'll be fine. Southwest side is the best.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
If you move to Angelo just dont live on the north end of town and you'll be fine. Southwest side is the best.
Okay Thanks bud.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:04 PM

795 posts, read 1,585,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Okay Thanks bud.
No problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas